Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Smart TV

New to smart television and all has worked so far but with a sneaky seeking I have pressed the wrong button or something as it now tells me that when selecting BBC iPlayer for example that it needs to be connected to the internet.

Kindle and computer all connect fine, so what's going on. And suggestions guys?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
10 REPLIES 10
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Re: Smart TV

Yes you do need an internet connection to watch iPlayer. The internet connection is what makes the TV smart, unlike me.

When you access iPlayer it will ask you to log in or register to prove that you have a TV licence.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You also need to have configured some sort of internet access on the TV as well, either Wireless or Fixed. If you've not done this yet you need to do it first. I guess this will be under the setting somewhere, possibly Settings > Network. If you are using Wireless have your WiFi password to hand it will make things easier for you.

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'm suffering from information overload.

I have now managed to get it reconnected to the internet - at least it's telling me I'm connected to my hub and it's also allowing me the access Netflix  (there is a Netflix button on my handset) so I guess it must be connected now, yet when I try to select the television on demand..... it tells me I must be connected to the internet! 

Grrr

Guess I'll have to get in touch with Panasonic about this one. The other strange thing is that ITV does not show up under the apps menu although BBC and YouTube for example are.

Hmm. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

I can't help but get a feeling of deja vu on this subject, I'm sure it's been raised before, but the search isn't offering up the goods, either that or I'm using the wrong terms. In the meantime @Minivanman go through the TV's settings and get it to check for new firmware and upgrade if one is available.

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Hia, Have you downloaded the itv hub from the apps store?

Minivanman
Legend

@Anonymous

I had a similar issue and raised it here a short while ago and problem corrected itself so I'm thinking it's back to some Panasonic network issues but yes, a firmware upgrade might be worth looking at.

Cheers.

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

@2u2me

I went into the app store menu and downloaded both BBC and YouTube again but it still tells me to connect to the internet even though both were downloaded. Strange thing is though and unlike when I first installed the television, there is no ITV, Channel Four or Channel Five app showing so maybe like Mook suggested it needs updating.

It's all very frustrating.  

Herman Melville
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Yep, usually a reset, switch off for a bit, sorts out Smiley

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Im in the middle of cancelling skytv atm because of having netflix on my smart tv Smiley

Minivanman
Legend

All sorted now by doing a system update - although it took some finding on the menu.

Checking first it told me it was up to date, noted the software version, but updated it anyway.... and it came back with a different one!

Everything back to normal and those catch-up channels now available again, so thanks for your input guys. Thumbs_Up 

Herman Melville