Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed with one laptop and Hub One

id2d
Dabbler

Slow speed with one laptop and Hub One

Hi

I'm having a big problem with one my laptops and the Plusnet Hub One. I don't know which is to blame.

All my other laptops and devices get maximum speeds. But my HP gets a fraction of the wifi speed. Sometimes even sub 1Mbps. When connected via Ethernet it's as fast as it should be.

After spending a good deal of time messing about with drivers, I restored to factory settings. It didn't help. I even tried an old Ubuntu Live CD to check if it was a Windows-only problem.  It's still slow.

I was all set to return it as a hardware fault, but then I tried using my phone as a hot-spot, and it went to warp speed!

So it's a problem this particular laptop has only when connecting to the Plusnet Hub One on wifi.

HP - 17-p150na 17.3

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgnWifFi adapter

7 REPLIES 7
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Slow speed with one laptop and Hub One

don't have the hub one but just how many devices do you connected to it?

and have you checked the settings in the hub to ensure its not rate limiting that device under QOS ?

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
id2d
Dabbler

Hi

Although I have lots of devices, they're not all connected simultaneously. This happens when the HP laptop is the only device connected as well.

I've been over every single hub setting. They're mostly on defaults and there is no special setting for this laptop.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Same WiFi chip discussed on Microsoft Support website here for a different laptop but this WiFi chip from Realtek has issues. Sad

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
id2d
Dabbler

Bumping this because still have the same problem.

Have reset to factory both router and laptop (again).

Have taken laptop to friends house and it's as fast as my other laptop on her EE broadband.

Have even let HP take remote control of laptop and mess around with Windows setting even though new it was pointless since it has the same problem in Linux which rule out any Windows-specific problem

So it's a problem this laptop only has when used with Hub/Plusnet.

Most recent test

HP-17-p150na17.3: 6.88Mbps down, 1.83 up (sometimes ~1MBps or lower)

Other laptop: 17.01Mbps down, 1.79 up

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@id2d

The easiest solution is to use a USB WiFi adaptor or to install a different WiFi card in the laptop. Of course avoid buying any adaptors that use the Realtek RTL8723BE chipset Smiley

I use a USB adaptor on a laptop as the internal one is too slow and the laptop BIOS is locked down to a whitelist of internal WiFi cards, none of which support 5Ghz AC mode (Boo Lenovo)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
id2d
Dabbler

Alright now things are getting crazy.

Over the past couple of months I've done speed test after speed test. Dozens and dozens. The latest was yesterday. Never have I ever got half what I should be getting with this laptop.

Then today my little dongle arrives from amazon. I install the software, plug it in, and I'm getting great speeds. 

But here' the crazy part. I unplug it just for fun to compare to inbuilt speed. And that's lightning fast too!!!

What the hell?

Could the new software have done this? I would have expected to have lived side by side, not affect the Windows/Realtek stuff.

Edit: But what about the fact it's slow on Linux? Arrggh! Nothing makes any sense any more!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It could be worth separating the 2 wifi bands on the Hub1, just adding a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz and unsynching the bands will help narrow the problem down. 

Also, rather than the auto channel selection, load a wifi analyser such as"inSSIDer" will help identify which channels are least congested, so you can set the channels accordingly.

What speed test site are you using? They seem to vary a lot, and will do even more via wifi.