cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow on MAC

Auroalfassa

Slow on MAC

Hello
Internet working superbly on 2 PCs - terrible on MAC - have tried OPEN DNS - still poor. any suggestions?
thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow on MAC

wireless or wired
Auroalfassa

wireless, thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Is it wireless on the PC's and what is the signal strength like on the MAC
Auroalfassa

the signal strength is maximum on the mac and the pcs are also on wireless

also, it doesnt seem to remember the Plusnet connection everytime you log on either.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I may be completely wrong but I think that this a MAC problem not a broadband or router problem.
I am going to move this over to the MAC forum in the hope that the MAC experts there can help.
If it turns out I am wrong we can always move it back
carrot63
Grafter

A couple of questions:
- Which mac/OS version?
- Which router (and wireless point if a seperate device such as an airport base station or time capsule)?
- Have you tried rebooting Mac and router and testing with only the Mac connected?
- You mention OpenDNS; is it establishing the connection that is slow, or the throughput speeds?
- What are the speed test results for the Mac and pc on http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk?
- You say it doesn't remember the Plusnet connection. Is the connection saved in the network pane of system preferences - my setup is saved, for example, as 'home standard' in the pull-down menu at the top
- in the network pane, under airport>advanced button>TCP/IP tab, is the connection configured 'manually', or 'using dhcp'?
I've had problems before when using DHCP on my routers (netgear DG834GT and DG834) with several attached devices. Occasionally the whole thing would more or less slow to a crawl, so now I just configure it manually which seems to solve the problem. However, this problem usually affects eveything on the network.
If you do have your connection details saved and it's forgetting them, you may have a problem with a corrupted preference/.plist file. It might be worth trashing the network or airport .plist files in /Users/YourName/Library/Preferences and re-adding the connection details.
If it's practical, try connecting with an ethernet cable instead of wireless to see if there's any difference.