cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow connection establishment

prl42

Slow connection establishment

Some while back, Plus offered a downloadable 'help assistant' that was supposed to monitor your connection and assist in the event that anything went wrong.
Immediately I installed it I found that when I switched the system on, instead of a working connection being established by the time the machine had booted, it now took a good five minutes. The router lights show that a connection has been made but Windows shows 'no internet connection'. The time taken for the connection to work is consistent at just under five minutes.
The help assistant was worse than useless, reporting problems when everything was working and telling me everything was OK when the connection would not work so I uninstalled it and went back to a restore point prior to installation.
The problem, however, remains. Each time the system starts the router light shows a connection but Windows does not see it for ~ five minutes.
Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Slow connection establishment

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is the connection wired or wireless and which version of Windows is it
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Uninstall 'Plusnet Assist'.  It's far more trouble than it's worth.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

He already did and went to a restore point before it - problem still there
prl42

Quote from: Oldjim
Is the connection wired or wireless and which version of Windows is it

Wired network.
It's a pity this got moved here because it really isn't anything to do with Windows. I only mentioned it:
a) To demonstrate the effect. It's exactly the same for W7, Vista and Linux.
b) In case the 'Assist' program had somehow changed the router settings or even those at Plus itself. (Not that I'm aware that any such settings exist in the latter case.)
It is odd that the problem arrived exactly after Assist was installed. (I installed Assist, turned the system off, came back half an hour later, and there was no connection for five minutes. I thought at first it was just a glitch (I lose connection for a few minutes on very rare [two or three times year at most] occasions), but it is exactly the same on every start up (full off, sleep, or hibernate).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As far as I know - and it wasn't mentioned during testing - this program doesn't change any router settings hence I moved it to here.
If it does then I will move it back.
Note that each router provided by Plusnet has a unique password so unless Assist has a backdoor for getting in it can't change anything
I did get this problem when waking from sleep on W7 and it was caused by a delay in getting the IP address from the router. I never did find out the reason as I got round it be making the network card stay awake at all times
prl42

Quote from: Oldjim
Note that each router provided by Plusnet has a unique password so unless Assist has a backdoor for getting in it can't change anything

Good point. The router does not come from Plusnet but it does, indeed, have a password so, as you say, it can't have been 'interfered with' by Assist.
I did get this problem when waking from sleep on W7 and it was caused by a delay in getting the IP address from the router. I never did find out the reason as I got round it be making the network card stay awake at all times

I think my problem is definitely at, or out from, the router because when the main collection of equipment comes up (including the main, W7, computer and the router), other machines that are already powered up and running can't access the 'net for the same amount of time.
I just thought I'd check to see if anyone had any ideas before I change the mains wiring and leave the router permanently powered up (which is recommended anyway).