Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband on 2.4GHz only

PCampos
Hooked

Slow broadband on 2.4GHz only

Hi, 

Wonder if I could get some help. I have been experiencing slow broadband speeds on my wifi, but only on the 2.4GHz frequency for some reason.

I have the 38-40Mb unlimited fiber deal and the signal is fine with either Ethernet cable connection or on the 5GHz frequency (usually get at least 35Mbps). The 2.4GHz band is ok if I test it near the router, but as soon as I step away a few meters it drops to ridiculous slow speeds (sometimes 2 or 3 Mbps). The thing is it used to be great up until maybe a month or so ago, so I don't know what could've affected it. I haven't changed the router location, i don't have any new devices, I live in a house where the nearest neighbor is about 25 or 30 meters away. So I am a bit puzzled with this issue and wonder if anyone would be able to provide any advice on getting this sorted? 

Many thanks and best regards,

Pedro

8 REPLIES 8
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Slow broadband on 2.4GHz only

Have you tried to log into hub and manually change the wifi channel number to see if it make a difference?   

Use 1, 6 or 11

Are other devices affected?

If you have an android phone, install wifi analyzer from farproc to assess wifi interference from neighbours.   Another possibility is there may be local radio interference from another electrical device near the hub.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
PCampos
Hooked

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. Well, I have now tried channels 1, 6, 11 and 13. No significant improvement. And it affects all the devices, yes. In the meantime I think I have figured out what may be causing this. We have a new baby monitor that works on the 2.4GHz frequency, and when it is turned off the wifi is good, so think that is the issue. 

Problem is we need it on everytime our little one is sleeping so not sure if there is anything else we can try? Wonder if those wifi booster / extender would help? Never tried those before so not sure if it is worth a try or if they are kind of useless?

Thanks and regards,

Pedro

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What is a baby monitor?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PCampos
Hooked

a baby monitor or a baby cam. It's a just a camera on the baby's room and a wireless receiver that allows us to check on the baby when he's sleeping

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Sounds like its hogging bandwidth for whatever reason. How about getting it on its own router and set it for another channel - you can always hardwire it into the existing. Or maybe your existing router is slowly dying and can't handle everything. Just seems strange that you lose the signal as soon as you come away from the router. I wouldn't expect the signal to disappear from that close.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

From time immemorial, babies have been successfully looked after without any gadgets.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PCampos
Hooked

Hi,

Sorry, i think I may have mislead you. The baby monitor operates individually, it is not connected to the plusnet broadband wifi router. It is just that coincidentally it works on a 2.4GHz frequency as well.  

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Maybe a channel change 'might' help. I've had equipment over the years (one of which was CCTV equipment) that interfered pretty badly with a router's signal to a computer, even though it was sited further away from the both of them. So much so I had to stop using the CCTV.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?