Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow XP Boot

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Slow XP Boot

Just reporting on a thread I had on the old forums ( thought they were exporting all the old threads to this new site!?!),  I ran bootvis, and this appears to have vastly improved the boottime, from over a min and 1/2 to around 40secs before XP is useable. Just a thought as well, the HDD is not in a caddy, its just plugged into the connector, and when you look, it does sag a bit. I will try and get a proper caddy for it on E-Bay Wink
4 REPLIES 4
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Slow XP Boot

Quote from: penfold
E-Bay Wink

Buy it, Love it, Sell it!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
iainmacmillan
Grafter

could also depend on the amount of programs/services starting from boot-up.
Start->Run->MSCONFIG will give you a range of tabs, last one is the Startup tab, which will tell you whats running, and what might be causing the delays.
Also make sure you regularly defrag your drive, as it too can cause slow performance.  Diskeeper is the best package, but there are free ones out there you can use.  The in-built XP defrag and made by DK, but its a very basic (almost useless copy).
agloco

What i have found that on xp machine if you have windows update switched on to do it itself it can slow your pc a great deal.
I just switch it off and check it every couple of weeks.
M
anderson

Following on from reply 2 make a note of the items in the startup menu in msconfig then go to www.sysinfo.org. Here you can search and get details of the items along with advice on whether to remove from the menu or not.