Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Laptop

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Slow Laptop

A few days ago, I installed Linux Mint 19.1 on this laptop,. making it a "dual boot" option with Windows 7 Pro.

It`s been done as a preparatory move, from Windows, to Linux, sometime in the next 6 mmonths, as W7 will not be "supported" by Microsoft from Jan 14 next year...

Not sure what "supported by" ... means... I assume that it means they will  no longer push out updates...but will that be a problem, ?  

Most of the updates, seem to be, just for the Microsoft Security Essentials... ( anti virus etc ).. which could easily be circumvented using Avast or Avira, or other Antivirus stuff.

Anyway... since the install,... everytime I boot into Windows, the clock is showing 1hour slow... despite the fact that the time zone has been set as Dublin, London, etc... and has the tick in the box regarding updating the time for BST or GMT.

Any offers as to reasons why this should happen... ?   ( when I did the install on Linux, it asks for the time zone,...and Yes, I selected UK London time zone ).

7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Slow Laptop

Linux sets your hardware clock to reflect UTC and adjusts time displayed to reflect time zone, Summer Time etc.

Windows sets your hardware clock to reflect the current time including adjustments such as Summer Time etc.

If you keep switching between systems, this is going to keep happening.

Luckily! Since UTC = GMT this will only be a problem in Summer. Grin

Your PC should be getting the correct time from a time server, so doesn't it correct itself, fairly rapidly?

AFAIK Should be OK in Linux, anyway.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@VileReynard  Thanks for the info....

No it does not update the time quickly... I have been working on Windows for about an hour, then checked the time on screen and it was an hour behind..

Just a bit weird that when I go to change it manually, it shows the time zone as Dublin London...

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Still the same in Windows 10 Cool

Date & time setting.png

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

@VileReynard  Thanks for the info....

No it does not update the time quickly...

@shutter 

ISTR from many moons ago the Windows default time poll interval (the frequency that the clock is checked against a NTP server) is quite long relatively speaking (1 week?).  If you want to use a shorter period the only way to do that is by making a simple Registry edit.

A quick Google search for how to do this finds several results, but here's just one of those.  https://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Time-Synchronization-Interval-in-Windows

Choose a very short period and maybe that'll be a workaround for your problem?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote: as W7 will not be "supported" by Microsoft from Jan 14 next year...

Not sure what "supported by" ... means... I assume that it means they will  no longer push out updates...but will that be a problem, ?  

Only for certain usage. Usually though by the time most get concerned about no more updates for a computer, the computer itself has become so slow or even broke. After all, how old is the laptop?

It's only when computers become networked that keeping up to date with software becomes critical. Security holes are forever being found in computer codes. No patch, big hole! Hence, no doubt, your move to Mint - updates.

I might add I use some computers (30 years old now) that need a floppy to boot (machine coded), others run W3.11, 95, 98, XP. But they all have one thing in common. None are capable of going on to the company network. No security risk there at all.

I wouldn't like to do online banking etc on a computer that isn't kept fully updated.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@idonno wrote:

I wouldn't like to do online banking etc on a computer that isn't kept fully updated.

Fixed that for you

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You see loads of people doing banking things on mobiles - many of which are updated somewhere between never and annually...

Personally, I'm not keen on even trusting a WiFi connection for banking purposes.

If I remember correctly, its perfectly possible (but tricky) to run an internet connection on Windows 3.1 and also possible on even DOS.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."