cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Ad Aware

valart
Grafter

Slow Ad Aware

I have got free Ad-Aware virus program which I have had for over three years it takes about 15 minuets to load the definitions and to do a full scan over three hours when I first had the program I thought it scanned quicker then this,I just wondered if I should get a new virus program if anybody can advise me.
6 REPLIES 6
jazz
Grafter

Re: Slow Ad Aware

AdAware is not  a proper antivirus prgram - it scans for spyware, trojans etc but you need an AV program as well.  Free AV progs include Avast or AVG.  AdAware current version loads in about 30 seconds and completes a scan in about 10 minutes on my computer so something seems very wrong on your system.
Not applicable

If you are looking for a free spyware scanner as an alternative to Ad-Aware, try Superantispyware which is a small download and very easy to use. It is usually very well reviewed.
As Jazz has said, anti virus is a different thing altogether.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I ran AdAware this afternoon.  It loaded very quickly and scanned in about 20 minutes.  I am using the Anniversary Edition which is the latest one.
barky
Grafter

gave up on adaware long ago - other programs do the job better & it only ever found cookies with me and often had problems loading it etc
mostly rely on Avast for my anti spyware - its built in to the anti virus program, along with anti-rootkit - nice to have the real time protection avast provides warning of dangerous sites that I occasionally see from search engine links etc
I do an occasional scan with spybot s&d as well
artmo
Aspiring Champion

spybot never finds anything on my PC.  Doesn't the latest version of AVG Free have a spyware scanner built in?
barky
Grafter

AVG free does less than avast - you have to buy the pro version to get similar functionality
>
>
back to Ad Aware --- remember it taking ages to scan with it's deep scan checked ---  found what I later realised was a false positive