Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slim Desktop PCs

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Slim Desktop PCs

XP Home SP3
No not the ones in side the Copshop filling their reports: they'll be getting fatter. Wink
More seriously I am musing on replacing my 7 yo machine with something more up to date, which will be better for jobs like photo editing and slideshow making as well as the routine uses.
I have seen a few Slim Desktop PCs that seem to have Dual Core processors with 2.6GHz+ ratings, but wonder if such would be suited to my needs. Apart from lack of space for expansion, which I do not see as a problem, I have noriced that the memory speeds seem slower that on normal sized desktops.
Would anyone care to comment further on the merits of machines of either form factor for the uses I have given?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Slim Desktop PCs

They often have on-board graphics which tend to be slower so could be a problem if you are editing large pictures or decide to move into video editing. Overheating can also be a problem if you are pushing the processor and they tend to have a limited PSU so adding a fast graphics card could be a problem.
They do tend to be a lot more expensive than a normal desktop / tower PC so its a trade off between performance and space.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

They're considerably more difficult to upgrade too. I'm not saying impossible but harder as they don't all use pci boards etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Check that your favourite video editor can actually use 2 processors simultaneously.
Make sure you have quite a lot of memory.
Especially for Vista, Windows 7.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Luzern
Hero

Quote from: Taxisofevil
....video editor can actually use 2 processors simultaneously.
.... have quite a lot of memory.
Especially for Vista, Windows 7.

So s/ware has to be able to use 2 processors to give full effectiveness! Do their sites actaully tell you, and do you mean video to take in photo slide-shows as well as matter shot with a video camera?
How do you define a lot of memory, presumably RAM, in the context of my usage?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero

Please! Any chance of a reply from anyone?;)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

OK!
Why get a dual processor PC if you only use one processor?
You might be better off spending the money on a super-fast processor Smiley
Memory usage depends on the OS, the application and what kind of photo processing you do - not to mention file formats etc.
For example if you want to use many layers on a giant RAW format, it can get kind of slow. Grin
You might be better of with an ordinary desktop.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Luzern
Hero

Thx! Smiley