cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chrisco
Grafter

Having just signed up to Skype so we can talk to & see our daughter in Oz, can somebody please tell me if I need a headset with mic or will a webcam with mic suffice. We have been looking to buy the Logitech Quick Cam E3500 which isn't the most technically advanced webcam in the world but seems to do what we need it to do. Can anyone recommend it?
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: Skype

Hi Chris,
A webcam and microphone should be perfectly ample.  Either should be fine Smiley
chrisco
Grafter

Blimey James that was quick, didn't think you'd be out of bed yet Cool Thanks for that.
James
Grafter

What are you trying to say?!  Tongue
chrisco
Grafter

Only kidding (must stop judging others by myself). I think you should be nominated for the Plusnet Speed of Answer Award - that's if there is such a thing! Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The problem you're likely to suffer when not using a headset is audio feedback from the speakers to the mic in the webcam. You may need to experiment with positioning of the speakers to minimise any feedback.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrisco
Grafter

Yes I did wonder but I think it's worth a go then if it's not acceptable I'll go & get a headset.
Santiago
Grafter

Consider a USB phone rather than a headset
I have a couple of these Ipevo USB VoIP Phone
The sound quality is excellent and they work on all my voice applications.
It allows independent use of phone and sound card allows for calls while listening to music on your laptop (Unlike some usb phones and headsets).
Note: I have seen a cheaper version that looks like this but I am not sure it has all the features of the Ipevo brand.
The Ipevo phones are "Skype Certified" but as I said earlier they work in all my voice applications. I use Skype, Yahoo, Messenger Live and Nonoh.
I also use them on SJPhone for my plusnet VOIP.
The phone is plug and play but comes with an installation disc which is out of date so I threw it away and downloaded the latest driver. Installed the drivers on each machine and you can swap the phone from machine to machine dead easy.
Just something else to consider. I hope that helps
chrisco
Grafter

Thanks Santiago, I'll certainly consider that option.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@chrisco,
Good suggestion by Santiago there regarding USB phone alternative.
For info I've got a couple of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sogatel-VISTA-Skype-compatible-screen/dp/B000WXRCU6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top. They work fine with Skype and can be made to work with Plusnet voip ( SJPhone and X-Lite by downloading the drivers ) should you want to use it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrisco
Grafter

Thanks to all, no thoughts from anyone on the webcam? Huh
Santiago
Grafter

My advice is to get the best one you can afford..
The video experience is so much better with a higher quality webcam. My guess is if you went for a cheaper one you would be disappointed and end buying a better one very soon.
I am not an expert on these, I have one built in with my laptop but am now considering getting a better one myself.
When I video chat with people the difference in the picture quality between the different quality webcams is staggering.
I would start by having a look on Ebuyer
They have reviews by people who have bought the products and it can be very helpful when deciding on what to get.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

There are reviews on a few here http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/search/?q=webcam&magazine=3&section=all&m=all&as=yes&x=0&y=0
I agree with Santiago but remember a relatively poor quality video link with distant relatives is far better than no video link at all.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
chrisco
Grafter

I do agree "Horses for courses" spings to mind. Daughter will be back in Sept so probably we will find no further use for Skype & all the gadgets that go with it, unless of course she decides to commandeer everything for her own use Roll_eyes
adie:quote
scootie
Grafter

i use a webcam with built in mic bought in 2003 an it still out performs mid range ones of today. tho logitech did try to stop me using my pro 3000 with vista but  all i add to do was edit the config files an put pro 3000 where it said 5000 an change the pid numbers  Grin
these guys a just showing off wid the lists of gadgets  Grin nah they out perform on voice qaulity but as u say may not be used much after ya daughter is bac