Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype phone and speakers

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Skype phone and speakers

I have a USB connected phone (manufactured by Cisco bearing Skype logo) which has worked correctly for some time. A legacy product!
I have told SWHTBO that she can't have the speakers working because the phone is connected! Am I correct  Wink
Can the computer soundcard work at the same time as the Skypephone. I run XP on this computer
Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Skype phone and speakers

I'm using X-lite 4. All sounds from other programs and also the ring tone from the softphone use the PC speakers, only phone calls use the headphones. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't set up yours to do the same. You'd need to make the speakers the default sound device and then configure only the software driving the phone to use the headphones.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PeterLoftus
Pro

no its a hand set with buttons just like a cordless phone Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Surely you must have some software installed to drive it.
PeterLoftus
Pro

the Cisco phone (also branded Linksys) has a utility called CIT200 with no functionality whatsoever. it is configured just to find the phone base unit on start up and then start up the Skype software. Thereafter all setting are on the Skype software.  Roll_eyes
Now Skype being Skype change their software functionality as it has been upgraded and I have no idea how to configure what I am asking below. There seems to be just options for the vanilla config as you describe headset and microphone  Wink
Its working that is not the problem, no I am asking to see if anyone has specific advice on USB phones  Wink
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I don't have Skype, but does this help? http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=46973
PeterLoftus
Pro

No as I said Skype being skype they seem to change menu options at every upgrade  Undecided
I dont recognise the options they say I should have on that forum  Sad
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

A USB phone just appears to Windows as another Input and Output sound device and you should be able to leave the Windows default output device as the speaker and just set Skype to use the USB phone output. However what I suspect is happending is that the CIT200 utility is changing the Windows default to the USB phone. Try it without running the CIT200 and just start Skype manually and set its Audio devices to the USB phone.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeterLoftus
Pro

thanks jelv and MisterW  Cheesy
I used the general principles you suggested and somehow I now both my soundcard and Skype phone both Working and at the same time! A result  Cool
I have a bad attitude towards Skype and their upgrades they IMHO change the menus on their software too often. When you upgrade you cant find the options you used to have.
anyway in Skype I found the options under tools to set up the mike and speakers both to "Linksys" under drop down menues. But there was also a button for advanced options to set the priority where liynksys and the soundcard appear again!
I also went into control panel under "sound and audio devices" and  here the soundcard was again set as audio device with Linksys as the mIke. I think I am lucky that there were no confilcts!  Shocked
Anyway I am typing this to a background of the Black Eyed Peas  Wink
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Santiago
Grafter

I agree, the Skype upgrades seem to make it worse not better,
I have uninstalled the latest version and reinstalled an earlier version, I also disabled the auto updates.