Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky email with OE [Resolved]

Mav
Fixes: 514

Sky email with OE [Resolved]

Hi
Trying to help my mother sort out her new Sky BB which is becoming a big headache. Their website is less than intuitive and their email set up seems convoluted at best Angry
Finally managed to set it so that emails are received into OE but cannot send them. Emails can be sent via Sky's Webmail.
The SMTP server is set to: smtp.tools.sky.com
And, as described on their help page, the following settings have been made under advanced
SMTP requires a secure connection on Port 654.
The user name and password are obviously correct as incoming mail is fine.
The follwoing error is seen for outgoing
An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Re: Test from mum sky', Account: 'Rene (Sky)', Server: 'smtp.tools.sky.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

Sky just referred me to MS website which wasn't the least bit helpful.
One strange thing, though; the test emails I sent to my PN address was received OK but a copy (clearly showing my PN address) was also received in my mum's OE.
Any advice appreciated, please.
Edit: Zone Alarm was de-activated while testing and Windows Firewall is always OFF

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES 11
jackoab
Grafter

Re: Sky email with OE

Try Google, masses of replies,Jack
Santiago
Grafter

Think you're missing the point there Jack.
Of course there are answers on google but people use the forum here to share problems and solutions within an environment of people they sort of "know". The forum develops a pool of knowledge that members can dip into when they need to and engage in an enjoyable social interaction [mostly]. Forum members also enjoy problem solving and the level of knowledge on this forum is outstanding.
If you looked on google and saw some solutions perhaps Mav might have been interested in the details.
Mav

I've done a Google search but most of what I found is 1 to 2 years old and even talks about smtp.sky.com and not smtp.tools.sky.com.
From what I have gleamed it seems that one needs to set 'My Server requires athentication' and to make sure that 'Use Same Settings As My Incoming Mail Server' is selected in the 'Settings' box.
It's late and I'm home now. I'll change these tomorrow and see if that helps. No mention of it on Sky's site though.
What a palava. Having set up a new User Account I wondered why I couldn't even send an email. A I was eventually told by a CS agent that you have to log in to the new account to activate it. Couldn't find this instruction in their help pages Roll_eyes Didn't much like the attitude fropm Sky that I should be sorting the send issue with Microsoft.
I'm glad I still have the simplicity & flexability of PN's email setup/boxes/etc and, of course, these fora/forums Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think it depends what you searched for on google
      Outlook Express not sending Mail Error Number: 0x800CCC0B
      Outlook Express not sending Mail, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B Hi, I've gotten this error message many times before, but usually if I wait an hour then.
      www.windowsbbs.com/internet-explorer/59941-outlook-express-not-sending-mail-error-number-0x800ccc0b.... - 44k - Cached - Similar pages
      Outlook Express Error Guide - Help & Support
      Click on the Error Number to see available information to help you fix the .... 0x800CCC0B - Server busy or incorrect domain on sender's email address ...
      www.plus.net/support/email/email_troubleshooting/oe_error_guide.shtml - 56k - Cached - Similar pages
      Web Hosting Knowledge Base
      Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B ... You may receive this error in your email client settings at some point. ...
      support.imhosted.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=328&c=5 - 18k - Cached - Similar pages
      How can i Fix Error Number: 0x800CCC0B in Out Look express Mail ...
      I m Using OutLook Expres 6 and Having this Prob. i have configured two account and when i try to send mail From One of them Email Acount i got Error An ...
      www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Internet_Email/Email/Email_Clients/Outlook_Express/Q_23423971.html - 59k - Cached - Similar pages
      Error Number: 0x800CCC0B - Community Forum
      13 Jul 2005 ... Error Number: 0x800CCC0B E-mail & WebMail. ... Error Number: 0x800CCC0B - 1st March 2004, 14:06. I've got an open support ticket about this ...
      www.hu-forums.com/showthread.php?t=1428 - 51k - Cached - Similar pages
      I can not send outgoing email (Error Number: 0x800CCC0B) - Powered ...
      SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B. If you can not send email using mail.yourdomainname.com as your SMTP server, it may be because ...
      https://www.mdwebhosting.com.au/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=11 - 20k - Cached - Similar pages
      Outlook Express Error Number: 0x800CCC0B
      Outlook Express Error Number: 0x800CCC0B - Microsoft Windows 2000 Applications. Visit our forum to discuss Outlook Express Error Number: 0x800CCC0B.
      www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1465380.php - 51k - Cached - Similar pages
      Error Number: 0x800CCC0B - Additional quirk associated with ...
      SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B. After strugling for many hours over a few days, I noticed that it was ...
      groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-POP-and-IMAP-en/browse_thread/thread/00bf931024790bd1 - 38k - Cached - Similar pages
      Outlook Express and Error Number: 0x800CCC0B - POP and IMAP ...
      SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B. As I understand the server rejects my e-mail... But I have used it for the years. ...
      groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-POP-and-IMAP-en/browse_thread/thread/46f6da20398b12e9/e1d20f1b293c0f3c - 106k - Cached - Similar pages
      More results from groups.google.com »
      SMTP issue with Outlook having error code 0x800CCC0B - Powered By ...
      Account: 'emal@yourdomain.com', Server: 'mail.yourdomain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B " Solution : ...
      www.ahostingsupport.biz/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=33 - 20k - Cached - Similar pages
Mav

Problem now solved. Thanks all
It was simple really - I hadn't ticked 'My server requires authentication'' on the Server tab Embarrassed
Sending and receiving now.
Edit: Modified title to Resolved

Not applicable

Re: Sky email with OE [Resolved]

So your mum was lured to Sky in the end Mav? I remember that you had wanted her to stick with PN but I can't say that I blame her as it comes free with the Sky package.
Not a good start with the e-mail palaver but would be interesting to know how it compares to PN.
Mav

Grin
Put it this way, poppy, three hours into attempting to set the mail up and my mother was already talking about returning to PN. I suppose we have been spoilt with PH's portal and it's ease of use. I would have had a dozen or more email accounts set up in much less than the three hours it took to set one up.
I'm not sure whether their staff have much training - I doubt it for what is, basically, a 'free' offering.
As I said in my first post, I didn't find the site particularly intuitive.
Yes, I wanted mum to stay with PN (I now lose 25p discount Wink ) mainly because I always found I could sort her problems out easily and remotely in most cases. Now, if there are major problems, I'd probably have to be at her PC when chatting to Sky's CS on the phone.
I'll keep an eye on speed issue, customer support, outages, etc and report back on my findings.

Not applicable

My friend uses Sky broadband and I always have to sort her computer problems out - I managed OK before they went over to Gmail.
By then I had actually set her up with a Gmail account because the Sky box was spammed from the start.
I read that a lot of people had problems when Sky changed but fortunately it wasn't too bad for us because we already were half-way there as we already had a Gmail account. 
We haven't had to contact their CS because we sorted things out ourselves but one thing that does annoy me is that they use 0870 which can be very expensive when there is a potentially long technical call involved.
Unfortunately, where we did fall down was configuring the new AVG8 e-mail scanner with Gmail as it uses SSL. It took an awful lot of forum searching and fiddling about before we got it right but now it is OK. I suppose that Sky users might have had similar problems - I read that they were inundated with calls.
The problem is that we are so used to PN and we know our way around - I found Sky's website not as informative as ours.
With regards to CS  as the broadband is 'free' if it isn't so good, maybe that's the price to be paid.
Mav

My mum (actually it's my brother's account as he is the one paying for the TV pacakage) has been given an 0844 number for technical support as well as for general CS stuff.

Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
one thing that does annoy me is that they use 0870 which can be very expensive when there is a potentially long technical call involved.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/
This website can be useful to get around using 0870 type numbers