cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky anytime + wireless connection

annpr53

Sky anytime + wireless connection

I bought a tp-link wireless adapter so I could take advantage of sky anytime plus. Our router is a Netgear d834g. I have a local connection but no service connection. Sky forums have been no help. It was supposed to be easy, just set up the tp- link via their web address, plug it in and away you go! Does anyone have any suggestions or had the same problem?
16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Sky anytime + wireless connection

I assume you're trying to connect your Sky box wirelessly to the DG834g using the tp-link adapter, is that correct ?
Can you tell us what model the tp link is then we may be able to help.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

annpr53

Yes I am. Tp- link is a TL-WA701ND. I hope you can help, I'm getting v frustrated!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

OK, I've downloaded the manaul and from what I can see it should be able to do what you want.
Basically you need to set the tp link operating mode to 'Client' mode. You will need to connect it temporarily to a PC via a wired connection to configure it, You will need to set the PC with a static IP address as described in chapter 3 of the manual.
Set the Wireless settings ( page 22 ) to Client mode ( page 27 ) and then search for the DG834g wireless network and enter its SSID and Save. Then go to Wireless security ( page 37 ) and select the correct security fro your DG834g ( most likely WPA/WPA2 ) and enter your wireless key in the PSK passphrase field, Save and reboot the tp link.
Change the PC network settings back to Obtain an IP address automatically and if all is well you should be able to access the internet from the PC connected to the tp link. If that's the case then connect the Sky box  to the tp link and you're good to go.
Post back and let us know how that goes. Once we've got it working then we can change the tp links LAN settings so that it can be accessed from a PC connected via the DG834.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

annpr53

I've already done all that but when I connect the tp link to the sky box I get a local connection but no service connection. I had to enter the ip address manually as 192.168.0.254 and my gateway as 192.168.0.1. Do I need to change this via the tp link website too?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I had to enter the ip address manually as 192.168.0.254 and my gateway as 192.168.0.1.

Is that on the Sky box ?
you shouldn't need to enter the address manually if it's all configured properly, it ( the sky box ) should get a 192.168.0.x address and the gateway via DHCP from the DG834g.
With a PC ( configured to Obtain an address automatically ) connected to the Tp-link, what IP address does the PC get ? and can the PC access the internet ?
edit : OR is that the tp link itself you've set to 192.168.0.254 ?

annpr53

I used manual config on the sky box because it wasn't finding any network. The dchp is off on the sky box and I can't find a way to change that. The pc uses 198.162.1.100 to connect via tp link.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I would concentrate first on getting an internet connection from a PC connected to the tp-link.
The follwoing assumes your DG834 uses the default subnet 192.168.0.x
With your PC configured for 192.168.1.100 connect to the tplink and change its LAN IP to 192.168.0.200 and reboot. Change your PC address to 192.168.0.100 and check you can connect to the tplink at 192.168.0.200. Now change your PC to use DHCP ( obtain an address automatically ) and check that it gets allocated an IP address by the DG834 in the 192.168.0.x subnet. If thats's ok then check that the PC can access the internet.
Those steps should prove that the tplink is correctly acting as a wireless client.
If all that's ok then connect the sky box , this link here seems to explain how to set it to DHCP http://recombu.com/digital/news/how-to-get-sky-anytime-on-your-skyhd-box_M10241-5.html you just select the menu and then change it.
Lets see how that goes...

annpr53

I changed the ip addresses and can connect to the tp link with 192.168.0.200. When I go back and change the pc to automatic ip address it can't renew the ip address. I clicked on the 'repair' option but that made no difference I just get the message to contact my network manager.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's not good, it means the DHCP requests are not getting through to the DG834g.
Set the PC back to a fixed IP of 192.168.0.100 , with a gateway of 192.168.0.1 and check that you can get internet access when connected to the tp link, that will confirm the wireless is connecting ok to the DG834g.  If that's ok , then make sure the gateway address is set to 192.168.0.1 on the tp link and try the PC back to DHCP and check that it can get an IP address.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

It might be an idea to reboot the DG834G, as if it's anything like mine it can get a bit stuck with DHCP and not automatically give a device an IP address.
That's RPM to you!!
annpr53

I can't connect to the Internet via the tp link. The pc allocates an ip address when I use a USB wireless adapter. It appears that the tp link is not working correctly.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It doesn't seem as though the tp link is connecting ( wirelessly ) to the DG834g. What does the Wireless Statistics display ( manual page 49 ) show ?

annpr53

The operation mode is set to client so it doesn't show any statistics.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah, the manual didn't make that clear, I was hoping it was going to confirm whether it was connected.
Does the DG834G show the tp link as connected ?