cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Broadband - Bit of advice, please

Mav
Fixes: 514

Sky Broadband - Bit of advice, please

Apologies if this is not the correct place for this - mods, please move it if ncessary.
My mother currently has BBYW1 at her house and is very satisfied with everything.
However, my brother is having installing Sky installed and suggested my mother take up the Free Broadband offer.
I have heard so many bad tales of Sky Broadband and wondered if anyone has anything good to say.
If she decides she doesn't want the Sky BB or telephone calls will sky attempt to move her anyway. Can it be stopped, anyone have experience of installing sky but keeping their PN BB and BT line?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES 5
Mav

Re: Sky Broadband - Bit of advice, please

Thanks.
Weren't sure where to place it considering my ultimate intemtion is to encourage my mother to stay with PN Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Not applicable

I set up my friend's Sky broadband connection and it was fine (she lives just across the road).  She hasn't had any major problems as far as I know.  However, her speed is restricted to 2MB whereas I get 5MB with PN Option 1.  She had to pay £40 for the Netgear router, which is locked to Sky.  She also has to have a 12 month contract which is not a problem as they were already long-standing Sky users and had no intention of cancelling.  Her telephone and calls are still with BT.
I think that the support calls made via an 0870 number and I can't say what the support is like as she hasn't had to call very much. She did need a replacement router a few months ago and this was dealt with promptly.
It is tempting to have something 'for free' (although it isn't free really). I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to see how your brother gets on with Sky television because if he decides that it isn't worth the subscription then he might wish to cancel before the 12 months are up. 
Mav

Thanks for the replies.
Free usually means unsustainable, problematic, just not up to scratch or all three.
Speed isn't an issue as my mother only uses it for surfing and email nad uses arounf 500MB a month. The idea of saving almost £10 is tempting but, then again, any problems may become difficult for her to solve or me on her behalf.
I think if it ain't broke right now then let's not 'fix' it.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

My dad has it as it's free - never quite convinced him he needed broadband before he could have it for nothing.
Mostly it's been ok, but the customer support we have needed has been awful.
He was suffering a disconnect after 5 mins in a continual loop (connect for 5 mins, disconnect, reconnect for 5 mins etc and it took sky 3 months to fix it.
Also he still hasn't been able to create additional mail boxes, after nearly 2 years.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav

Just spoken to my mother; We've decided it's best to stay with PN.
1. As I said before, why try to fix what ain't broke.
2. She's have to direct any problems through my brother and, to be honest, technology is not his strong point.
3. If he does cancel at any time she's be up a gum tree.
Thanks for all the advice.