Did you mean: 

Size Going Up Question

FIXED
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Size Going Up Question

How important is the size going up?Wink

My PN fibre up size is capped at 2Mbps. I've never got to 2Mbps as the average is around 1.5Mbps.Huh

I see that some ISPs quote fibre up speeds of (up to) 10Mbps or 20Mbps.Shocked

So, my question is, what difference would I notice if my up speed was say 10Mbps (five times my current speed) or 20Mbps (ten times my current speed)?

Would I be able to do anything new or much better?

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Size Going Up Question

I assume you are on the 40/2 package? If so, that upload of 2Mbps is fixed - for some reason PN don't think you need any more. You will rarely get the max speed due to overheads.

Unless you do a lot of uploading, I shouldn't worry about it.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with @jab1, as you're not syncing at close to max speed anyway, any increase may well be wasted, and if you haven't noticed it now I doubt you'll need it. So as was already said, don't worry about it.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You need a faster upload speed if you find yourself waiting for something to upload.  So if you don't know why you might need a faster upload speed then you don't need a faster upload speed.  If you use 'Cloud' storage then the time it takes to upload a new file will depend on the "size going up".  Most people don't add to what they store in the cloud very frequently so although the initial sync. to the cloud can take many hours, thereafter there isn't much delay.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to be pedantic @ReedRichards but just because you wait for stuff to upload does not necessarily mean you need a faster upload speed. You (c/w)ould benefit from a faster upload speed only if the site or service you are uploading to is capable of receiving data at that higher speed.

Also, your requirement for additional upload speed can also be determined by how you use your connection. If you have concurrent multiple users on the service doing different activities then chances are you would (all) benefit from an increased upload.

For me, I’m of the opinion if it’s available I’ll take it. If you can upgrade and you can afford the extra cost then do it, if only for the reason of convenience of it being there should you need it. But as was mentioned before, it would appear that you don't, well not so far.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@jab1 wrote:

I assume you are on the 40/2 package? If so, that upload of 2Mbps is fixed - for some reason PN don't think you need any more. You will rarely get the max speed due to overheads.

Unless you do a lot of uploading, I shouldn't worry about it.

@jab1 I think it is a 40/2 package, although 38 is the top of the scale.

Is it about file size more that frequency? For example, if I was uploading Word and PNGs, that would be OK at 2 and if I was uploading FTPing RAW and Postscript print files, that would be slow and noticeable, so a bigger upload speed, would be more efficient and effective?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Fix

If you are getting 38 down and 1.5/1.8 up then yes you are on the 40/2 package.

In answer to the question, it depends on the size and frequency of uploading - if you only upload small files,yes they will take a while to go (and slightly reduce your upload speed), but you won't really notice. If, however, you upload much larger files on a regular basis, then a faster package would be better - and more expensive.

John
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@jab1 Thank you that make a lot of sense, as it depends on workflow, deadlines and file, type, size, frequency and volume. Smiley

My question came about because a friend of mine, was thinking of moving from Sky and he told me that Origin ISP are doing a 38/10 and he was asking me about upload speeds, and I had no idea, until your clarification.

I this is the "deal" he told me about, although I've never heard of "Origin"

Capture.PNG

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

£31 !!!

I pay £19-99 for a supposed 80/20.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I assume that's £31.58 including the line rental.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Origin are just plusnet resellers (although they also resell other ISPs too).
my advise, cut out the middle man (ie Origin) and just go straight to the real ISP.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Though this isn't just an FTP issue: remember that the Up data rate also applies to Skype and similar, i.e. will affect the quality of your Skype partner's 'view of you'. Whether PN rate-adjust outbound video packets differently to FTP is another matter...

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017