cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site changed to include new UPS.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Site changed to include new UPS.

For any of you who were following the UPS problems I was having a few months ago I have now updated the networking page on the website on my home webserver to include pictures and information about the new UPS I bought and installed:
http://www.seanbranagh.ie/computing
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable

Re: Site changed to include new UPS.

Looking good - glad you got the UPS sorted too.
Imagine how much I struggled with an 8KVa model with an additional battery pack - I feel your pain, the chiropractor likes UPS's!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

As always Sean, its looking cool mate!
Must cost you a fortune for a setup like that though!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thanks. I am quite proud of that as sad as it may be. As for cost if I was to buy everything in one go it probably would cost a bit but I haven't.
Everything has been aquired over many years. The single biggest amount I have ever spent on computer equiptment was about £400 and that was for the access points and the wireless antennas. As you can see my computers are all quite old but more than good enough for the job they do.
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed. link:rules mod:end
7up
Community Veteran

Yeah I've got to agree with that actually sean. Age doesn't matter as long as it can do what you need.
My main machine is a 1.8GHz with 704MB DDR. 40GB HDD. Thats it, but it does the job for me and is powerful enough to run VMWare and have 2 users logged on using remote desktop at the same time.
I've got another beast which needs repairing too (1.4GHz) and that one ironically handles the work better than my main one.
Who needs these hyperthreading thingamajigs?
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yeah, my fastest machine (my main one) in 2.3Ghz (overclocked Athlon XP 2000+) with 1Gb DDR266.
It is lightning quick for anything I need. My servers are only 1.3Ghz and dual 1Ghz both with 512Mb RAM.
My laptop is only 1.5Ghz with only 256Mb RAM and my computer "Other" is only 700Mhz with 512Mb RAM although this one is too slow even for me but I don't care because I only set it up for other people in my house.
I think computer manufacturers and retaillers have lead the general public to believe that they need superfast computers when really people are only using the internet and Word and stuff. A computer of eBay complete for £80 would do the job for most people! The total cost of my webserver "Sideburns" complete with the dual motherboard, processors, memory, case, DVDrom, postage etc was less than that!
Not applicable

[me=James_H]still runs a PIII server in a production environment.[/me]
Can't see a good reason not to - it works admirably well, and carries a whiff of nostalgia as its the first server the compny I work for ever bought.
Admitedly it no longer runs the entire network and is dwarfed when its specs are lined up against its many more recent siblings - it runs AV and print shares admirably though and is as reliable as any of the more recent offerings.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: seanbranagh
Yeah, my fastest machine (my main one) in 2.3Ghz (overclocked Athlon XP 2000+)

Thats seriously overclocked!
My main beast uses a AMD XP 2200 and I get 1.8GHz! I don't do over clocking though as that in itself means I'd need better cooling etc which I don't really have the cash for at the moment! Still, 1.8GHz is fast enough for me! (Same speed as my laptop which has 512MB SDRam and is *almost* as fast!)
Still, 2.2GHz on a XP 2000 is pretty decent going! I saw on cpu-world a while back someone had over clocked a XP 1700 (I think) to 2.9GHz! It must of been frying lol
seanbranagh
Grafter

I am sorry, I tell you lies! After your last post I questioned myself and restarted the computer to check. It is a 2400+ not a 2000+. It runs very easily at 2.3. It has been a few years since I built it and I somehow got 2000+ in my head when I originally posted! Sorry.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Watt UPS unit are you using?
I have a 700 APC UPS I am going to get 2 more of them!
seanbranagh
Grafter

Sorry, Was away for a couple of days there at the Oxegen music festival here in Ireland so did not reply.
I have the APC smart 3000 RM (Pictured). It has 8 times the battery capicity of my old Trust 950VA! More than big enough for me. Powers my servers and stuff for over 2 hours. I got it second hand from eBay complete with new batteries.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That is big.  Shocked
seanbranagh
Grafter

I knew it would cost a lot for postage from eBay so I thought it best to buy a bigger UPS. I had already created a seperate power circuit in my house for all computers and equiptment (pictured) so it was easy to include the UPS in this to run everything. When everything is switched on it runs 2 servers, my desktop machine, my laptop, 2 switches, 2 access points, ADSL Router, Commodore 64 and other things like mobile phone charger, cordless phone charger, electric drum kit and the list goes on. All of this is still only about 20% of the output capicity according to PowerChute!
There is only one computer not connected to this because it is at the other side of the house on the normal socket ring but instead it uses my old Trust 950 UPS.