Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Gigabit port on router

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Single Gigabit port on router

This one has me puzzled
I just may be getting fibre later this year (the fibre cab has just been put in) but I don't want to go down the two box route so a new router is needed
I was looking at the Billion 8800NL but was surprised to see that is has 1 x Gigabit, 3 x 10/100 LAN ports which seems a bit nonsensical as it doesn't allow for a gigabit network so what is the purpose of having a single gigabit port
10 REPLIES 10
chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: Single Gigabit port on router

I think simply for the purpose that they can charge more for the AXL model.
It is good at what it does but I am only using it as a modem in bridge mode.
Check the 8800AXL
picbits
Rising Star

Maybe now connection speeds on Cable are reaching >100Mb speeds, the gigabit is to handle this speed while up to 300Mb combined from the 10/100 ports can be used for the rest of the network (or two ports connected to a switch for faster throughput) ?
Just a random guess though.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Buy a gigabit switch and hook it up to it.
Clearly that router is offering the best of both worlds - lower priced slower speed ports but one higher speed just incase.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

For me it was the case of its price and reviews and bit of future proof if/when I get fibre.  After that it came down to, do I really need a gigabit  port let alone more than one.  I am the only one using my connection, I am not moving large amounts of files about my lan, so no one gigabit  port is fine and if not I just get a cheap switch.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Given that a cheap gib switch is <£20, if a router with 4 gib ports is more expensive than that vs one with 1 port go the switch way.
I have always used a gib switch (8 port currently) even when I had only 100Mb router ports, it means that I can connect my pc's together by gib and the uplink is at max speed to the net.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: DomS
two ports connected to a switch for faster throughput

That would have the opposite effect - two LEDs flashing at maximum speed and continuous table updates going round the loop Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do ports only connect at 100Mbps or 1000Mbps?
i.e. intermediate speeds are ignored?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Yep there is no intermediate speed, unlike adsl/fibre it is all or nowt.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Thats not quite correct as you can hook up a 100Mbps switch to a 1000Mbps switch and they'll still transfer data at 100Mbps. Each switch will attempt to work at its highest data rate but if it cannot it will drop down to the next preset speed.
If they couldn't do that then Gigabit and Megabit switches would not work together. My own setup has a Gigabit router and a cable round to my 100Mbps switch where the rest of the equipment is plugged in. Then there is another computer plugged into the Gigabit switched router that is hooked up to the TV.
Now if a Gigabit switch was all or nothing, then my computer TV would be the only one to get online and the desktop computer, netbook and others, would be stuffed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

But it  is all or nothing,  from the posted ratings point of view, as you get 1000, 100 or 10 mbps depending on the capabilities of the ports at either end.
As HB indicated, they won't connect at any other speed (e.g. 500mbps).