cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple calendar for an android phone?

JPN
Rising Star

Simple calendar for an android phone?

I've recently acquired an android 'phone (v6) to replace my current mobile 'phone. I've been trying to configure it to my liking before transferring the sim card.  I'm struggling (inter alia) with the calendar.   My current 'phone (S60 software) could provide instant access to a calendar, showing dates by month or as needed.   This one seems to need either an internet or data connection, together with a 'Google account'.   How can I make it show me a simple calendar/diary without all that palaver?  I've used android 4.something in the past where the simple calendar was easy to use. 

8 REPLIES 8
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Simple calendar for an android phone?

Sounds like you were previously using the phone calendar not Google calendar.

When you create an event you should be able to select the phone calendar instead of a Google one.

The Google calendar is better though because you can access & edit on any device. You can also share the calendar with other people such as a partner.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

The Play Store is full of calender apps.

Here's one that seems to foot the bill

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.calendar
JPN
Rising Star

Thank you 7up.  The 'phone just had a calendar built in.  I don't need to create events, I just wish to look up a date; what weekday is a given date, or what date is two weeks next Tuesday - that sort of thing.  I don't need or want to access or edit on other devices, or need to share with anyone.  In that sense more complex is definitely not 'better'.

JPN
Rising Star

Thank you DaveyH.   That link seems to be just the thing.  I'm incredulous that such basic functionality is not present on a relatively sophisticated telephone.  I suspect that trying to access that link from the phone would also need some form of account from Google?  Fortunately the originators web site shows a link to the apk. 

If all the other functionality I need is as complicated to access as this, I might just stay with the old 'phone. 

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@JPN

You may not be "bought in" to the concepts behind the modern phone operating systems.

The Nokia S60 platform existed on the phone, Android, iOS or (perhaps to a lesser extent) Windows Phone are more "cloud" based.

So, to take your example, a calendar is for you to record your appointments and is intended to be available in a synchronised form on many devices.

It is possible (to a degree) to keep data "local" to a device but it isn't how the operating system is intended to be used. 

Similarly, app "purchases" (even if free) are tied to your account so that if you get a new device you can have the same stuff again without having to "purchase" it.

There are "Feature Phones" that may be more to your liking.

One example is Doro. They make some devices without "smart phone" functionality.

I am the satisfied customer....
JPN
Rising Star

Thank you for the comment Markhawkin. Given that a previous version of android that I use on a tablet is perfectly capable of providing a display of dates that does not require it to check back constantly with some entity elsewhere indicates that the additional 'functionality' is something that the proprietor of the software is trying to add (impose?) rather than it being necessary. (I'd also describe the functionality of recording appointments as that of a diary rather than a calendar).

The functionality I want to have is that of a handheld computer; my previous devices included the Psion 5 and others. I store technical notes, related video clips and similar which I transfer locally and value the power and graphic capability of the new device.  Its propensity to do what it wishes rather than what I wish is most irritating.  I have over the last few days managed to switch off, remove or disable most of the Google appurtenances, and it's now more closely resembling the tool I need, rather than the device Google wish me to have.  I may even reach the point where I feel able to insert a sim card.  Until then, my trusty N95 is holding the fort, even though it's (original) battery is now only holding charge for around two days.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

one might wonder why you bought an android device in the first place if it's clearly not giving you what you want.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3