Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple FREE screen video recording software

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Simple FREE screen video recording software

There was another thread, about this kind of software... but this one is "kinda" different...  I was asking for recommendations for free software to record "live" tv on the computer...

Somone suggested AnyVideoRecorder.... which... while it worked for a week, has been very flakey since then,... not recording, and stopping the default sound driver from working, ( due to it installing its own "virtual" sound driver   ? ? ? )

Have been in touch with the software help, via email, but they say, they are not servicing that version any longer... so try another version... its an "addon" in the latest AnyVideoConverter Ultimate...  but , it is exactly the same program... and has the same flakey software... unreliable... to say the least.

so... I been on google, and done some tests on some others that were listed... and eventually came up with

oCAM 

it is simple to use,  ( do the settings, and a bit of practice to get the hang of it first )... and gives very good quality results.

here is the linky...

http://ohsoft.net/eng/ocam/intro.php?cate=1002

6 REPLIES 6
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Simple FREE screen video recording software

@shutter

It was me that suggested AnyVideoRecorder. I don't understand why it's gone flakey, mine still works fine.. You are correct though, the one you have now (Ohsoft) is quite good once set up.  Thumbs_Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Pete11 Yes, Thanks for that.... I can`t understand why it worked for the first usage, then one week later, it didn`t, ... uninstalled it,... re-installed it... and it worked for one short recording... (about 3 mins)  then went flakey again.  I did notice that there was a "lip synch" problem with it though... and that had been mentioned on some reviews..  the "help" contact has not come up with any ideas.  I`m running W7 pro   64 bit... (which they  know about ).. so it should work.... anyway... I`ve uninstalled it now, and won`t be going back !.

cheersWink

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Running the same here..Win 7 x64. Anyway, glad you found another that works for you.  Thumbs_Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Pete11 Whilst I liked the way AVR worked.... ( to a point - when it did ! )... i find this oCam is much better, and easier.

Once you have it "active" on screen,... you get a green outline for screen area to record... can manipulate that by dragging the corners or  the edges... and move the whole area by dragging from the + in the centre of the area...

So.. if you need to make several short clips... when you have stopped the first one...  you can repostion the window.. and just clck record for the next one... if you have the settings done so that it is "numerical" for the file name... then you don`t need to insert a new file name,... also ..

with AVR when you have stopped, it needs to be restarted and a new file name manually inserted before it will record. and then you have a second "record" command to initiate before recording starts..

so.. AVR ( when working ) scores 3/10  

oCAM (always working )   10/10   ! !

Wink

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You need a fairly fast CPU if you don't want to lose frames / sound.

I get no problems using a 4 x 3.8GHz Linux to capture a full screen video.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  I must have a fast cpu then.( I`m using WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL on a DELL INSPIRON 5558 laptop....) . cos the quality of sound and vision with oCam is excellent.

A little update... I did mention you can move the recording frame about the screen and resize it... I recently found out that you can move the recording frame around the screen during recording too...

Also, if you delete intemediate files from the recorded files folder... newer recordings will fill the spaces deleted.