Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent fan for laptop

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Silent fan for laptop

Not sure if anyone can help, but I can but ask Smiley
I have a toshiba satellite 1135 laptop, which my wife and I are using alot more recently. We have noticed a problem that after approx 1/2 hr to an hour of use, the fan started to run alot. The fan switches off Ok after a few mins, but then starts up again after approx 5mins. I have removed the Heaksink and removed all the old heatsink compound and replaced with arctic silver, and put back together but still the same problem. I suspect its down to the design really, as the exhause port is not really very big. I was wondering if it was possible to get a quiet fan for a laptop, but google searches dont come up with much, lot for desktops, but laptops nothing much at all. Anyone any ideas?Huh
PS the only other think I can think of is.....  I got this laptop of a friend, whio had dropped it, and it stopped working. I replaced the MOBO, but with one from a japanese version ( a dynabook). System works absolutely fine, but BIOS in japanese, so I was wondering if there would be a BIOS option, but I cant read it. I have got the another MOBO for it thats english, that I have repaired, but not had time to fit it.( had a broken power connector)
6 REPLIES 6
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Silent fan for laptop

AFAIK there is not much you can do about the fan beyond what you have done already. Laptops are very variable in how noisy the fans are.
You should be sure there is plenty of space around the vents, so avoid using it on soft surfaces, and perhaps even prop the back edge up on something.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

yeah checked, no luck, I think Dynabooks were never meant to be sold outside of asia. AFAIK, dynabook is the asain branch of toshiba
I think I should pull my finger out, and put the english MOBO in.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You can't really customise laptops - They are usually built pretty much from scratch by the manufacturers.
Unfortunately they're not like desktops at all. I suspect one day when laptops become more widespread (now the prices are dropping) that the companies will start fighting each other with customisation options but I don't see this happening for at least 3 years when the prices drop a little more.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Not applicable

Its not one of the stupid Toshiba ones that they built with a cover over the fan inlet is it?
I've had to cut a hole in a piece of plastic they had for some reason decided to stick over the fan inlet hole on the bottom of the notebook.
Once it was removed, air actually circulated through the assembly, meaning the noisy fan wouldn't have to run as often, as long, or at such a high speed.
Many of the fan assemblies are common - you may be able to get a better spec one if you dig around, but it won't be as easy as it would be on a desktop.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

No there is a grill with very small holes in the CPU cover, but its on the underside of the laptop. Stupid idea, but suspect this is causing the issues, as when its being used the fan intake is effectively covered. Tried looking for a better spec fan on the Desktop modding sites, but no luck at all.  Undecided
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Why go for a fan but help the fans you have circulate the air, diy job stick it on feet of some description, as your laptops fans intake are underneath so adding more externally won't help as they'd suck the air away from the intake.  If not diy inclined then http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ or thermaltake if wanting a brand
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November