cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent desktop

kilburncat
Grafter

Silent desktop

For around 3 weeks my 6 year old XP SP3 desktop has gone totally silent. I've been to Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices, raised volume, ensured Realtek AC97 audio is in Default Device, same for Voice Playback, downloaded the driver again from Realtek. The only event I can relate it to is the automatic downloading of a (Divx control?) (update?). I tried System Restore to before this date. Whatever I do it remains completely silent on startup, default sounds or playing a music CD. Sad
27 REPLIES 27
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Silent desktop

Can you describe the connection of the sound equipment (speakers etc) attached to the PC though which you used to hear the sound
kilburncat
Grafter

There are 2 tiny speakers attached to the desktop and they are switched on, but there is also the speakers in the TFT screen which also do not work ie. do not emit anything.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I suppose the next question is - have you checked that the cables from the speakers are correctly plugged in to the connections at the rear of the PC.
The speakers in the LCD screen won't work unless the audio connector on it is connected to the PC
kilburncat
Grafter

I have checked all the wires and they are all firmly 'home' at both ends Cool
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

not sure if this will help.....
http://www.ehow.com/how_5122046_enable-sound-windows-xp.html
or possibly this
http://www.ehow.com/how_6418579_fix-audio-driver-windows-xp.html
NOTE THE TIPS on the LEFT side Menu
kilburncat
Grafter

Many thanks, although I have actually done all that as well. I wonder if it relates to the download of this (DivX-I'm sorry I don't know the exaxt name but I've seen this before) download?
Mav
Fixes: 514

Can you find the relevant item for the DivX in Add/Remove programs and uninstall it?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kilburncat
Grafter

i can find various DivX  entries: Codec, Content uploader, Converter, Player, Web player, but no updates (I have the 'Show updates' box checked), but they all are dated 2008 and 'rarely used'. Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you try connecting the LCD audio connections to the PC and see if that works - you may need to enable the audio on the screen
kilburncat
Grafter

I'm sorry, Jim, what are the LCD audio connections?
Maybe a red herring, but I wanted to see what Ubuntu looked like so I tried it from the disc I downloaded, and got a whole lot of other problems I won't go into here, but it was totally silent too. Now, I don't know whether Ubuntu makes any noises under normal circumstances, but my pc did not utter a sound.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Sorry - TFT
The audio connection points on the back of your monitor
kilburncat
Grafter

Sorry, Jim, I don't understand Cry the tft screen is connected to the desktop tower already.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The TFT screen is connected only by the video connector not the audio connector.
Although the DVI cable is capable of feeding audio it is extremely unlikely that your video card (or on board video) will have that capability.
If you can advise the model of TFT screen and the computer I will probably be able to be more specific
kilburncat
Grafter

It's an NFren NF 1500 MA 15.1" TFT LCD monitor, and it has 2 audio points, one connected to the small speaker pair, the other connected to the tower unit.