cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Siemens Laptop Vista Home Premium. Fully updated, malware free

Redviper
Grafter

Siemens Laptop Vista Home Premium. Fully updated, malware free

Hi all I have a few issues with my Laptop that I can only assume is down to updates, I cant re-install Vista because I only have “recovery” discs, which are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, - why we have to have these when we buy a computer and not a actual copy of the OS we are using is beyond me.
Anyway the issues.
1. on startup I have Vista boot into login and password screen, which when you click on the icon for your name, after a couple of seconds the screen goes blank, you then have to press Function and the icon for external monitor to get it back again or if you can do it blind it will come back when the OS loads up.
This started after I updated the drivers for the display via the manufacturers website, which was a EXE installation which removed the drivers 1st then you had to run the exe file that installed the new drivers. So you cant roll the drivers back and I don’t have restore points back up. I wish i hadnt now becasue it hasnt really improved anything just made things worse.
2. My Internet connection icon via wireless shows two monitors with a red cross and will sit like this for about 10 min before connecting to the wireless.
Applications like msn messenger will not auto connect, and IE and other OS windows such as my computer will not load until the connection status is showing as connected.
However Firefox will load and browse the internet perfectly fine.
I have tried disabling firewalls etc, I thought it might be the router but I have 2 XP Systems (one desktop and laptop) that connect perfectly fine.
I have thought my only option is to install Vista again but as I don’t have a proper OS disc I’m loathed to buy another.

Any suggestions help, greatly appreciated – sorry for the long winded message
3 REPLIES 3
Mattallyc

Re: Siemens Laptop Vista Home Premium. Fully updated, malware free

Hi Redviper,
Don't be afraid to use the recovery discs - they'll recover your system to how it was when you first got it. They have an advantage over the original OS discs in that they'll install all the drivers you need.
I use them all the time - don't ever see actual OS discs anymore...
Actually you're lucky to have them at all, a lot of manufacturers just put a hidden partition on your HDD with the required files on it which is great until your drive packs up...
Hope this is of some help,
Cheers,
Matt.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Uninstall the driver manually and see if it fixes the problem.
You should revert back to the basic Vista driver on restart
This should explain how to do it http://www.ehow.com/how_5104823_uninstall-drivers-windows-vista.html
Redviper
Grafter

Hi all
Thanks for the replys, Yes i reverted back to the original drivers and that resolved my problem for the screen going blank on login

however my Network connection trouble was caused (i think) by multiple "Roxio" by "sonic Solutions" entry's in the "services tab" of Msconfig - previous experience of any software from them has caused trouble so i disabled the lot, and now it connects within seconds on start up as apposed to minutes.