cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sic transit gloria interneti anno MMXII?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sic transit gloria interneti anno MMXII?

Got this http://www.propagandamatrix.com/articles/june2008/061108_kill_internet.htm
from a friend. With the woman I though it was a Two Tube production
Good laugh or cry?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Sic transit gloria interneti anno MMXII?

You called?
geewizz
Grafter

I couldn't open the URL. The error message reads "Insufficient funds in account. Access denied. Error code 66-97-108-108-105"
Luzern
Hero

I've checked the link and it is correct and am having no prob
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@geewizz
You missed the  Wink off the end of your post Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Luzern
Hero

I know it was not for mem but don't get it!
cp:quote
James
Grafter

Your title in this thread looks a bit like a phishing email Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Is this the new version of Web Mail then Crazy
Luzern
Hero

The title means for the highly educated among you,
"Thus passes the glory of the internet in the year 2012".
Phishing? That's a new angle on things, but I won't keep carping on.
Seriously though, alarmist as the clip is, will the internet become the victim of its own success. Is it becoming too cluttered, because a lot once on doesn't seem to get removed however erroneous or outdated.
geewizz
Grafter

If you think about it, it's all about how users access the data on the internet and how they interpret the information they collect. It's just the same as libraries have always been. There is lots of information in a library and it gets outdated. You just need to look at the context of the information and check things like the date it was published to decide if it is still relevant. Just like old books are still valuable as historical documents, so too are outdated web pages. Many of them have historical value which may or may not be obvious today. A page that was written about the recent events hosted in the millenium dome may seem pointless to retain on a server in a couple of years from now and could be deleted to avoid this "clutter". However, it could become a significant piece of historical data if the dome gets blown up by some nutter from a Baltic state who has a particular dislike for everything that relates to breasts.
This post was coming on a treat and I just lost it in the last few moments.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@geewizz The basic premise of of your post is correct hence the likes of archive.org. One man's junk is another man's historical artefact.
The idea of charging for website access goes against the fundamental idea of the WWW.
Yes I know Plusnet charges me for access to websites but not on a selective basis.
I can, unfortunately see the money making aspect of it and tend to think that big businesses will eventually take advantage....not for a long time I hope.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine