cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter's Linux

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Shutter's Linux

Gerry I was pointing out that some developers of Linux can make it easy to use, not suggesting that you got a netbook, For some reason, when I got mine you had the choice on first start to use Linux or WinXP, I chose linux.
More recent Netbooks seem to only offer Win nowdays
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

OK A "nicer" version of the shell script I published earlier
#!/bin/bash
REPLY=$(zenity  --list --column="Select" --column="Size" --radiolist \
false "640x480" \
true "800x600" \
false "1024x768" \
);

convert $1 -size $REPLY $1

This will ASK you what size you want to resize to from the selection of 3 sizes, with 800x600 being the default one.
Is this something like what you want?
And a pic of it in action:-
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

OK. Guys.... I know you are being very helpful with your responses, and I do appreciate it..
I was using the "Fast Image Resizer" prog as an example of a prog (that I would have to search for)  for the answer given regarding synaptic packgages, etc.....and how to go about "requesting" the devs to package and test it ........ (there are some Amateur Radio progs, that only run in windows that I would like to have available in Linux, so maybe I should have chosen one of those as an example! !)
Axis of Evil.... I have done ,..... and I have done.... and I have used it for a test...... works pretty much the same as Fast Image Resizer.... see my posting  (and your dire warning about EULA ! )
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,86808.0.html ;   Fast Image Resizer (alternative) for Linux  Smiley
So the subject of F.I.R. is now closed ! ! ! Cheesy
What it boils down to, is that without a lot of help from you guys, I would not have been able to get this far with Linux OS`s....
Whereas... (as previously mentioned) I got about 10 minutes instructions when I bought my first IBM clone (X86 something or other .....) and what I know, I have been able to find out/learn/teach myself..... hands on..... without much difficulty...
So "Thank you all"... Very much appreciated. ... I shall persevere. and no doubt come back with other seemingly stupid questions !  Embarrassed Embarrassed Undecided
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've found a bug!!!
Quote from: Hairy
OK A "nicer" version of the shell script I published earlier
#!/bin/bash
REPLY=$(zenity  --list --column="Select" --column="Size" --radiolist \
false "640x480" \
true "800x600" \
false "1024x768" \
);
convert $1 -resize $REPLY $1

(the -size keyword should be -resize) - indeed if that last line is changed to
convert "$1" -resize $REPLY "$1_$REPLY"
you will preserve the original and generate the new file.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well done I wondered who would be the first to spot that  Grin
Well it was just a quick hack, having never used convert or zenity before  Lips_are_sealed (Last nights hacking of some C code inspired me  🐵 Sad
It was more to demonstrate the fact that was why there were no programs it was so easy to do ...  Tongue
WRT Amateur radio progs, there are 81 listed in my synaptic under (surprise surprise) Amateur Radio, but despite being a radio amateur myself I have not even used any of them  Cheesy Not been on air for several years.
VileReynard
Hero

Well, your "quick hack" is now in my nautilus scripts short-cut.  Smiley

HairyMcbiker
All Star

You have a use for resizing pics? I've never had the need except for web pages and I haven't done any of them for ages either  Embarrassed
Glad it was of use, but I believe you suggested imagemagick in the first place ?
Zenity looks easy to use to hack a simple input dialog together, I think you could add a free text input but I just wanted a simple hack.
VileReynard
Hero

My only real use for resizing pics is when I want to email a 3MByte (5Mpix) picture to someone on dial-up.
I usually use GIMP for this.
However, it wasn't me who originally suggested imagemagick - it was someone more knowledgeable than me Roll_eyes
If you just want thumbnails, then something like f-spot would be of more use.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: A
My only real use for resizing pics is when I want to email

Personally I use Outlook (2003) usually for email and when you send a picture Windows offers you the option of resizing or not; quite neat and I think independent of email client.
VileReynard
Hero

You get pestered about every single picture? Grin

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

No, it depends on how you send them whether you get the option. You get used to deciding how/where to click depending on how you want the picture attached/embedded in the message.
VileReynard
Hero

I use gmail as my main email account.
I just add attachments sometimes. Roll_eyes
I don't actually use a proper email client - although I could always use Thunderbird.
I'm too idle to do the setup...
I could go to all the trouble of registering a domain, hosting it at Plusnet etc etc
but if I can't be bovvered to set up Thunderbird, I can't see that happening.

deekay
Grafter

Just calling in briefly to report on the latest attempts to get my HP All-in-one printer
working in Mint.
I unintalled the pre-installed HPlip and its associated files. Following the Mint tutorial
which was pointed out to me by Hairy Biker, I installed the latest HPlip3.10.5. No luck!
All I got was the usual 'Printer not found', 'Scanner not found', 'Nothing connected to
USB'. So I started again and used the appropriate HPlip script to install HPlip3.10.2 (the
same version as that pre-installed). Still nothing.
Recently, I tried PCLinuxOS RC2. That found the printer, scanner, and toolbox. It used
HPlip3.9.12. However, the Final version used 3.10.2 and my All-in-one didn't work with it.
So, I started again with Mint and, using the 3.9.12 script, installed that version.
Printer, scanner and toolbox all worked.  Smiley
Next, I had a look at PCLinuxOS, and tried to install 3.9.12. Unlike Mint, where the
dependances were automatically downloaded by the wizard, with PCLinuxOS they weren't. I had
to install them manually. There were two dependancies which were of the wrong version for
the earlier HPlip. So I have temporarily abandoned trying to get them and installing them.
That's the result so far.
Very many thanks to all who helped me.
Cheers.
Keith
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

OK... seeing as this thread is entitled " Shutters Linux"... I had better give an update too!...
Now running Mint 9 Isadora... I have got  some of my "fave" progs in windows working , in particular......
Irfanview..... (using a script by Hairy Biker)
MMSSTV  ... Amateur radio Slow Scan TV program for receiving still pics over the airwaves....
MMTTY    .... Amateur radio Tele Typewriter program for receiving text  messages over the airwaves
SEATTY... professional HF FAX and RTTY program for receiving Weather pics and Text Weather messages over the airwaves
The last three caused me a problem as I could not get the signal from my Short Wave radio via a link to the mic socket, to show on the screen(s).... after consulting with Hairy Biker, I managed to change the settings on the speaker icon, to read "Microphone/Microphone"  instead of the default "Microphone/Line In"....
I am using "Shrink it", instead of Fast Image Resizer.....
There are one or two other programs on my windows desktop, that I have yet to try out, so will keep you updated......
Progress is being made, and with luck, give me 6 months to a year, and I may well be a Linux Mint 9 only user......!
Thanks for all your patience and help so far....
Cheers
Gerry
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: shutter
Progress is being made, and with luck, give me 6 months to a year, and I may well be a Linux Mint 9 only user......!

Well in 6 months it will be Mint 10 then in a year Mint 11  Roll_eyes
But I get your drift.