Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter's Linux

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Shutter's Linux

Shutter has got a free OS , Mint 9, also installed on the same hdd as windows Vista, (which came with the laptop) however, I am finding it very difficult to get on with LInux, due to it`s "geeky" way of adding programs that I want to use, some of which are not the same as those I am familiar with running windows since 3.1....
The big problem I have with Linux Mint 9, is that IF i find a program (which can take all day seaching the net)   that I think may do the job, it takes all day to figure out "how to get it to work", from the moment it is downloaded, ....  (yes I know there are a lot of progs in Linux,..... but they are not the same as what I want...)
I like the idea behind Linux Mint, but it is just NOT user friendly, unless you have someone (almost) sitting next to you to show you how to do things.....
With Windows, when I download a program, it is a simple matter from there on in to get it up and running, by following the onscreen message boxes.... and if you don`t like it, again, it is a simple operation to remove it....
As for doing re-installs,  I don`t particularly mind doing that... it gives me something to do, keeps me off the streets, stops me painting grafiti on the train carriages at night, and the phone boxes keep their money.... oh yes, and on a weekend,...... old ladies can go out shopping, knowing I am not available for mugging them... Grin
And it does give me a chance to think about all those progs that I HAD on my previous install, "do I really need to re-install that one? ? "  :
dick:green Thread split off this thread as the subject had changed.
70 REPLIES 70
scootie
Grafter

Re: Windows Vista Malicious software removal tool

spot on with your review of none user friendly linux.
i run ubuntu along side w7 and flick over to linux now and then but like you say a one or 2 click job in windows takes a hundred commands to get installed and configure the way you want the program to run.
i will all ways run both os's but i cant see anything other than windows or maybe mac os x ever being my main work horse.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you are downloading source code and then compiling code from web sites of unknown security, then any method is difficult.
If you search a standard Linux repository and click "install" it's easy - does the download and install and security checking all in one.
In Windows these are all separate steps ("clicks").

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

matt_2k34
Grafter

i agree with a fox here ^ (makes a change for me to agree with a linux user :D)
its all about what your looking for, when i had a stint with linux, Alternative To got hammered alot, each day thats for sure Cheesy
hey its all a learning curve, and Asbo and shutter got it on the head, the reason linux isnt more popular, is because it isnt friendly at all... then once you start getting your head round it and playing with Samba so you can integrate with a windows network.. its more hassle than its worth of installing windows  Roll_eyes

@pierre
you use all your months allowance downloading the update

Offpeak ?
and fill up the windows folder with all those files I have just deleted 

Theres a major difference with just "abit of housekeeping" and a complete reinstall Smiley - you can easily redelete the select few things you had deleted. as for 'being with it' - i'd say i was, if your machine is incapable of running smoothly on its current setup - maybe its time you looked at the machine in question itself, not just its software?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

will you get it into your head, Shutter and I are both pensioners and dont have th plus £200 at least for another new machine
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
will you get it into your head, Shutter and I are both pensioners and dont have th plus £200 at least for another new machine

Hmm, you can still tweak the machine that you have infront of you. Altering the resources is not like you've got to spend a couple of grand on a new machine - but it seems that any advice i give to you falls on deaf ears  Huh
Theres many "Poor man tweaks" and things which can be bought cheaply (£20-40 dependant on age of machine, £35-50 you could get another decent sized hdd) which could make a major difference to your machine.
if my memory serves me right (but i may be wrong) you partition your drives. If you didnt bother - you would have wasted the empty space in the other partitions, and could use that Smiley
Regards
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pierre_pierre
dont have th plus £200 at least for another new machine

However, PC's don't last for ever even if you only want them to carry on doing the same things, which I actually suspect isn't the case.  Wink
There are many ways of dealing with that, but ones I use include:
1. Keeping an old system running by judicious upgrades/repairs (memory, hard disk, optical drives, peripherals etc.)
2. Save up a little each week/month for a planned replacement and only replace what really needs replacing
3. Find "cast-offs" where people have upgraded and upgrade/repair appropriately.
If you've got time available all the above apply, and obviously NEVER go for the "latest and best" as you pay dearly for that.
As an example of "3" I recently was donated a "dead" Dell system by a neighbour (I even refused the not bad flat-screen monitor as I didn't need it) as they had it for several years and wanted a newer laptop.
The system had died due to a failed hard disk; he didn't have the skills/time/interest to repair and rebuild it and the commercial costs of doing so confirmed his preference to move to a shiny new Windows 7 laptop.
I bought a BIG (Terabyte) hard disk for £50 and a bit of extra RAM (peanuts) but the underlying system was quite powerful anyway so I reinstalled XP and it runs extremely well. Mainly I'm using it to store and edit my 20-year "archive" of camcorder tapes.
shutter
Community Veteran

Seems some people just miss the point completely....
1. I would like to run Linux Mint...... I like it...
2. I am not a computer geek.... so don`t understand most of the "terminology" used by the Linux system.
3. I am not a computer geek... so don`t understand all this "terminal" stuff
4. I am not  a computer geek..... so don`t know anything about source code to make progs work
5 I am not a computer geek.... so need my "add - on" programs to download and install themselves, and work,.straight out of the box,
6. Windows has been doing 5 for ever and a day..... isn`t it about time that Linux caught up with the "real world" !
7. Linux claims to be less susceptible to hacks/virus/malware attacks,  and the Linux "mob" keep blowing theirtrumpets about how "safe" it is...  trying to get windows users to swap over......yet when I offer a way to use some apps, I get cries of horror about how dangerous it is....
8. so long as you keep WIndows updated, and run anti-virus system which scan daily and update daily, there should be no "security" problems by downloading progs and "apps"
( I have only had three virus attacks in over 15 years with windows, and each time AVG FREE caught it and quarantined it, before it could do any damage.)
9. the problem with 7, is that, IF and WHEN, Linux becomes user friendly, and more windows users do switch over, then it will become just as susceptible to attack as windows.... ....
10... I can understand program writers, not wanting to "dual" write their programs for Linux, and Windows.... (and MAC, I suppose)... but they could show a bit more "intelligence" and write a "front end" or something. to enable it to run in Linux as well as windows....instead of leaving it up to the end user to figure it out...
(just a few observations  Undecided Undecided Undecided )
matt_2k34
Grafter

indeed, the alternative link i posted previously is good for finding an alternative peice of software (tell it what you want an alternative for, and it will give you as many as are on the site.. and its maintained by users so pretty up to date!) Smiley
Your point #5 - theres quite a few linux distros which will help with this. Fedora for example is a few clicks and it installs the software you are expecting Smiley
as with 10, you can run some stuff under WINE (not all that technical iirc) but dont expect it to run perfectly Tongue - failing that a virtual machine if its only software your after?
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi Matt.....
just used that linky... clicked on the linux penquin, then set the search to " Fast Image Resizer ". . and it came up with a page of " anything but "....  as can be seen here...
http://alternativeto.net/SearchResult.aspx?profile=linux&search=fast+image+resizer&category=desktop
in fact the first "offering" was called "Fast Dial"....." Fast Dial displays a list of thumbnails of your favorite sites " !! !! !!  Roll_eyes
I have used WINE to launch "Irfanview", but it took me two days with help form HairyBiker, to get it to work.....  Undecided
Like I said " I am not a computer geek".... so when you talk glibly about "virtual machine".... I get a mental image (like a hologram) in my head, of a washing machine. ...
(note to mods.... sorry this seems to have= "gone off topic" to the point of being a Linux thread,...
I may have a go at Fedora. to see how it runs...... Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I guess the question is, Shutter: "Do you want to be a computer geek"?  If the answer is "no" then I would advise you leave Linux well alone but if the answer is "yes" then learning Linux will work wonders for your geekiness.   
shutter
Community Veteran

No, I don`t want to be a computer geek..... however, by the same token, I don`t want the Linux fraternity constantly telling us how good and safe Linux systems are, compared to how rubbish and unsafe windows is, expecting every one to "jump ship" and join them because they are "onto a good thing"......
I didn`t become a computer geek, by using windows..... (although some of my friends and family think I know a lot about computers).... It is easy to "get on with", and generally works very well.... what I am saying is.... Why can`t linux be just as friendly and easy to get on with, after so long "in development"...  
to put it into context..... I have "learned" how to re-install windows, and do quite a lot of other "housekeeping" stuff, because it is easy to learn..... I am aware of virus activity, and how to deal with it. I can generally fix most of the problems I have, and those close to me.....
on the other hand.  My missus , hasn`t really got a clue, but uses her computer quite well for her needs.... she hasn`t a clue about anti-virus updates. MS updates, security patches, different versions of windows, licences, etc etc.etc...      Now If I had put a linux system on her machine..... she would not be able to use it......that`t how friendly linux is... Undecided
Edit.... For the record.... I did not start this thread to rubbish windows OR linux.... nor do I want it to turn into an argument about which is best ... 
as the original query has been answered. this may be an appropriate time to close the subject.  If anyone feels it is necessary, to continue on the Linux  board.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi shutter ive reported this thread as off topic so hopefully a mod will be along shortly to sort it all out, As for linux please dont try fedora, I think thats even harder than mint or ubuntu as it uses YUM. I also reckon you dont have to be a computer geek to run linux, It has indeed came a long way these last few years but how long have you been using windows? Yes there in is my point, Your a windows geek and being a linux geek will take up a lot of any spare time you have and dont rush into it, Just relax and take your time.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Shutter's Linux

Relocated. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: Shutter's Linux

Thanks  Steve.... was hoping a mod would be around before long ! ! ..
Thanks Strat.... for doing the necessary.!
Well, I did download Fedora. and as you rightly said.... "Don`t try it"... unfortunately. I was trying it. and after spending time getting the .iso file to stick on a cd rom..... I eagerly put it back in the tray, and re-booted..... Ooooooooh the excitement.... and then the disappointment...
After it showed a nice screen, it went into boot up mode.... kept repeating something about the file system being no good, and ended up with

" Can`t mount root filesystem.
Boot has failed.
Sleeping forever"......
and it did just that.... I could not even open the CD tray. couldn`t re-boot with CTRL ALT DEL... had to shut down and find my special tool to poke in the hole to get the CD tray open to remove the offending disc..... how "user friendly is that " >!  !  !
anyway, I also downloaded PUPPY... to have a see what happpened..... Now that is a different story.... after burning the .iso file, re-inserted the CD and booted up... everything worked and within a few minutes I was looking at a screen with icons all around it, and notifications that I could understand along the way.... 
I started the Internet connection bit. and it found my wireless connection, asked for my key, and within a few mins it had connected.  just like it should....  A far cry from my experience with Mint 9.... which does not have the Broadcom43 driver as part of it`s makeup... why ever not?  it is the latest version... and probably came out after the Puppy version I just downloaded.....
so I shall continue with Mint 9..... and have a play around with the Puppy version too.....
To all those who have helped in the past..... Thank you....
(Yes steve, Windows has been around for a long time,..... and I have been using it since Win3.1 on floppy discs.... but I started using it in the same way as I am using Linux.... as a newbie.... and it was easy to get things done.... which is not the same with linux... if you get my drift....)
(oh by the way, I am using the live cd on Puppy to do this posting )