Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shut down

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Shut down

I've asked this question before, got the answer, but for the life of me I cannot remember the answer or locate where I filed it.
My disabled wife has constant trouble with shutting down her laptop, by selecting the wrong option from the drop down list (Vista Home Basic) she has poor control over the mouse and cannot get on with touch pads at all.
The previous answer provided a means of either deleting all the unwanted options (log off, standby etc.) or bringing  "shut down" to the top of the list.
Can you help again please?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES 7
jazz
Grafter

Re: Shut down

There is a "How to" on this on Kitz Forum website at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1831.0 ; Wink
petlew
Pro

Thanks jazz, I don't recall that was the method previously seen, but it will do very well.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jazz
Grafter

You're welcome!  I used that method to alter the setting for my Wife's new laptop last year and it works very well.  Smiley
Lurker
Grafter

As an aside Petlew, I've recently purchased a trackball for one of the machines in our warehouse - one of the benefits is that its easier to get on with that a touchpad for many people, but it takes up less space than a mouse.
They also claim to be very good for people who struggle with fine motor skills.
http://www.techready.co.uk/Assistive-Technology/Dexterity/BIGtrack-Trackball-Mouse
petlew
Pro

Thank you James. We've tried most things including a track-ball, which wasn't very successful. She's currently settled with a Logitec VX Nano laser mouse, which she gets on with quite well. The problem is that the MS she suffers with can at times produce a lack of sensation in her fingers, unlike some other mice the Logitec has a quite positive feel to its buttons. It took some time (and expense) to settle on this mouse. Indeed I also liked it a lot, and purchased one for myself to use with my laptop.
As an aside, the only thing I don't like about it is, that the scroll wheel switch can't be programmed for double click, there's a dedicated button for this on the mouse, that can be re-programmed for other uses.

hadden
Grafter

It is also possible to add a Shutdown shortcut to the desktop and so avoid any option selections. To shutdown the PC you just double-click the shortcut icon.
1. Right-click on the desktop and select New >  Shortcut.
2. On the next screen put "%windir%\SYSTEM32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0" (without the quotes) in the empty box and click Next.
3. Enter a name for the shortcut, for example Shutdown and click Finish.
That should be sufficient for it to work, however, to give it a meaningfull icon...
4. Right-click on the Shutdown shortcut and select Properties.
5. Click Change Icon...
6. A warning message appears... click OK
7. On the next screen look for the icon below, click it and then click OK
8. Click OK on the final screen and that should be it completed.

In a similar way, a shortcut icon can be set for setting the PC to hibernate. In that case, use
"%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState" in step 2.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Petlew
As an aside, the only thing I don't like about it is, that the scroll wheel switch can't be programmed for double click, there's a dedicated button for this on the mouse, that can be re-programmed for other uses.
Have you tried this  -  from my MX518