cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing camcorder footage online (using a dongle). Help needed.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Showing camcorder footage online (using a dongle). Help needed.

I hope this comes clearer when I've explained what I'm wanting to do.

MODS...I wasn't sure if this belongs in this forum with it being a bit technical or on another forum, so please move to where it belongs if you feel it needs doing.

I'm going on a 3 day fishing trip. Taking laptop, 2 camcorders, usb internet dongle and the odd spare battery. The fishery is allowing me to record (and stream to internet) while I'm fishing so that others can connect to see how I'm doing 'live'.

There are 2 of us going, me doing the fishing and chatting, and a mate doing the recording on one camera, while the other camera is connected to laptop acting as webcam. Now my questions are...

1. Are usb internet dongles fast enough to upload to site in a 'live' situation?

2. Does anyone know of a site I can upload 'live' to so others can log in and watch? (preferably free to upload to).

It's going to be like a t.v. prog...but 'live' so people can come online and ask questions, and get answers there and then. The fishery is going to recharge any batteries required and supply the tea/coffee.

Any answers/suggestions welcome, not doing this till end of June.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
6 REPLIES 6
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Showing camcorder footage online (using a dongle). Help needed.

The speeds will depend on the mobile signal at the fishery. is it 4g for example?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Pete11 wrote:

1. Are usb internet dongles fast enough to upload to site in a 'live' situation?

2. Does anyone know of a site I can upload 'live' to so others can log in and watch? (preferably free to upload to).

1) Yes but it depends on your video quality and dongle speed. 3G dongles will do webcams happily but if you're looking for ultra HD / 4k type quality then it might struggle. 4G will be superior to 3G but again you have to consider the quality of video you want to transmit. Also depending on how long you're broadcasting you're going to get through a lot of data so make sure you've topped up plenty.

2) Not really sure but i know facebook does live broadcasts (never tried it) and i recall hearing that youtube were also offering it but again i've never looked at it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

There is no wifi etc. at fishery, hence the dongle. As for quality, both camcorders are HD and will be broadcasting approx 6 hours per day (with 1 night broadcasting) to cover night-fishing session. 

Thanks for the answers by the way. Thumbs_Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try it out in the living room?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

1 - Yes, but make sure you have enough data to do it

2 - Youtube and Twitch are the most popular for live-streams, though Youtube may not work well with a mobile data connection as it has a hard time when a game on a PC skips a frame on a fast connection, so, maybe just Twitch I guess... Smiley

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Just had a look at Twitch, looks interesting. Thanks  Thumbs_Up