Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use a driver uninstaller or rely on the windows one

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Should I use a driver uninstaller or rely on the windows one

I am now in a position of ignorance (not too unusual there then) where I need to upgrade my graphics card.

Previously - at least for a very long time - I have stuck with Nvidia (I did use to have AMD but that was yonks ago when the first 64 bit cpu's came out)

Anyway back to the question.
I need to change my Nvidia GPU as it fails miserably when playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided

2016-08-24_091827.jpg

So after a lot of thought and looking at the Nvidia options I have decided that the most cost effective solution is the Radeon 470 4GB

So is the preferred method to uninstall all the Nvidia drivers and programs then change the card and install the AMD drivers etc.

This takes me to the next question - is there any need to use a third party uninstaller such as http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

7 REPLIES 7
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Should I use a driver uninstaller or rely on the windows one

I always use the DDU from guru Thumbs_Up  as it will clean any leftover files so the chance of errors later is removed .

It only takes a few minutes to run Smiley   even for driver updates its ok to run it

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I've used DDU in the past and it does an excellent job of removing the traces of the old driver. So good in fact that Windows 10 unlicensed itself as it said I had changed a major component. Took a phone call to Microsoft to get the license enabled again.

And one excellent thing was that the phone call was answered within 10 seconds on a Saturday morning at 7am and sorted within 90 seconds. Superb phone support.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can't always rely on benchmarks. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Benchmarks are very handy to see how your system is running Smiley  obviously there are a few to choose from most famous is of course 3Dmark , but i tend to use the same one all the time as you have a consistant results to check again Unigene Smiley

https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Tried it.

It just asks for money.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the bench mark he's used there is the one built into the game,

@Oldjim

the games gotten worse since they released the first patch, now it hangs and glitches out a lot, although my old AMD R9-270x 2GB GFX card is well above the minimum specs I had to put everything to off or low in the options just to get above 15fps, then the produced a patch which made it all worse rather than better .... hopefully when they upgrade it ot DX12 with the patch planned for 6th September that will fix the issues, failing that i'll be getting a new gfx card to play that and doom on something more than minimum settings Smiley

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

well thought i'd update my post now that ive received and am running my shiney new sapphire nitro+ radeon rx480 8gb oc card,

originally i uninstalled everything via the add/remove programs but whe nit came to install it all again it didn't work right so i ended up using the built in uninstaller and bingo after a couple of reboots it seems to be working as intended

oh for giggles i did the in game benchmark 4 times and it gave me 4 different results, the best was average 65fps, min 35fps max 78fps, to the worst being average of 35, min of 4.5 and max of 87..... all tests were run one after the other with zero changes to options or hardware (my system has 16Gb of 1866Mhz ram an fx-8350 running at 4Ghz, and ssd and a couple of 7200 rpm hdd's running W10Prox64) when i switched the settings down to high i was still getting horrible frame rate numbers.....

hopefully the devs will work out what there doing with the Gfx interface and this game will stop acting like its stop motion every time a fight starts ....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you