cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I install W10 now or wait for few months?

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Should I install W10 now or wait for few months?

Hi guys,
That is the question.
If I do install W10, should I save the W10 on DVD?  If so, how do I go about it?
25 REPLIES 25
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Should I install W10 now or wait for few months?

If:
  • You are adventurous

• You are adept at computers

• You have some spare time

you should install now.  But if you wait a few months the chances of encountering a problem will diminish. 
You can download an ISO file and burn it to a DVD but I'm not sure if you can convert what Windows Update downloads to a DVD.
BruceMcTavish
Grafter

The windows 10 download as part of upgrade cannot be saved elsewhere but you are able to download using Media Creation tool if you feel the need.
The upgrade will also let you revert to old system within 30 days if needed.
HPsauce
Pro

How long is a piece of string?
If you need the technical improvements urgently, then upgrade.
If you're on Windows 7 and happy, why rush?
If you're on Windows 8 and loathe it, it's somewhat better.
Those are the first 3 things of maybe 50 or more that sprang to mind, but without knowing more about your equipment, software, skills, uses and future needs, who can say?  Wink
MartyPop
Rising Star

The best advice I could give would be to install it on a spare PC(if you have one) and play about with it on that for a while until all the teething problems have been sorted out.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

All things are relative and its quite hard to be 100% objective. I've upgraded 3 separate machines now
A desktop running 8.1 (marginal improvement), though I had to buy a microphone as my webcam/mic combo didn't work on Windows 10
A netbook running 7 starter ( massive improvement) but some apps run much slower - Spotify starting up is the worst
A Dell inspiron 1545 laptop running 7 home ( no real difference) both work well.
I say go for it if you are OK about hunting down /  installing new drivers and researching any necessary  tweaks, if you want it all to work perfectly and be 99% stable wait a bit longer.
chandu
Rising Star

Thank you for your feed back.  Sorry, I am late in responding as I have had and still having considerable number of disconnections since 4th July and I am hoping that Plus Net can sort the issue out soon.
I have Dell laptop with W7 and I am not very good with Win OS; hence my query.
Sorry, I do not have another machine to experiment with W10, therefore any help will be appreciated.
Thanks all in advance.
Chandu.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@chandu
Wait until Dell have confirmed that you can safely upgrade your particular machine.
As you yourself say you have limited skills with OS'es, so waiting is the best policy.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
chandu
Rising Star

@  georgelnx
How will Dell inform us?  Will it be email or some other means? My W7 laptop is out of guarantee.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

You will need to look on their website in their support area.
Never used Dell's website so no idea where to find the information on it. They might never put up information as they would prefer to sell you a new machine. Or never bother as your machine is out of warranty.
Windows 7 is still a good operating system and will have security fixes until 2020 so you may have replaced your machine by then.
Microsoft's information on how long they are going to offer support is at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/lifecycle
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
chandu
Rising Star

@ georgelnx,
Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I'm finding Windows 10 very very buggy

• I had a problem installing Windows 10 as an upgrade to 8.1 - which I fixed myself, no thanks to Microsoft

• I Had a problem installing the cumulative updates - which I fixed myself, no thanks to Microsoft

• I had a BSOD where after the Start button would not respond

• Windows Mail now crashes after a few seconds

In both the third and fourth problem all Restore points vanished as soon as the problem arose.  I cured No. 3 by reverting to an image created a week previously.
I'm still working on problem No. 4. 
chandu
Rising Star

Thank you, ReedRichards, for your frank feed back of your experiences with W10.
Considering the issues you had to face, which I would not be able to diagnose or sort, I shall be leaving the update till later (may be) and stick with my W7, which I am very happy with.
I have heard a rumour that  M$ intend to bring in subscription system for W10 after the free year offer is over.  Is this true?  If that's the case I rather not update to W10 and carry on with my W7, which I am very happy with.
Cheers.
steveuk
Grafter

Quote from: chandu

I have heard a rumour that  M$ intend to bring in subscription system for W10 after the free year offer is over.  Is this true?  If that's the case I rather not update to W10 and carry on with my W7, which I am very happy with.
Cheers.

What you hear is a rumor and nothing more, after the first year you will buy windows 10 for what ever price microsoft sell it at and that is it.
CX
Grafter

It's gone reasonably well for me so far.
The main issues I've encountered:
- My main PC has been waking itself up. It looks like the Realtek ethernet is to blame, since it implicates the PCI-PCI bridge it sits behind as the wake source.
- Windows Mail kept freezing shortly after I opened it. It worked again after rebooting.
- Lenovo C260 got stuck on the Lenovo boot screen after installing some updates. After manual power off and back on it was fine.
I'm going to stick with Windows 10. It's a far better operating system than 8 was.