Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I download Windows 7

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Should I download Windows 7

Quote from: Hairy
Maybe I Am being thick but WHERE did I suggest the user try Linux in this thread?

I don't think I suggested anything of the kind either.
Funny that when one suggests that there may alternative or better options to Windows 7, it is assumed that this is necessarily Linux?
I think it's probably best to leave these wiseacres alone.
{Waits for dictionary definitions and then ducks for cover} Cheesy Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: poppy
Steve - where did that 'You know it makes sense' come from?  It rings a bell but I can't remember - was it someone's catch phrase or in an advertisement?
If someone doesn't tell me it will really annoy me for the rest of the day.  Please anyone?

It dates back to at least as far as the 1960's when the wearing of car seat belts was not compulsory so the government placed advertisements on television to try to persuade you.  "Clunk click, every trip;  you know it makes sense" was the tag line.  I'm not sure if this was the original use.
Not applicable

Thank you for that RR - you have a much better memory than me! 
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Actually, Poppy, I now wonder if I may be conflating two different seat belt advertising campaigns - perhaps 'clunk click' came after 'you know it makes sense'?  But here is a link to to the one we both remember

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Totally off-topic.

-669uKOJR0&NR=1>
-669uKOJR0&NR=1

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

My I respectfully suggest that since this isn't in General Chit Chat we stick to answers that may actually help the OP with his question?
@idlewis - (if you are still reading :))  run the Upgrade Advisor as per SteveM's reply on the first page. That will tell you if your PC is capable of running W7. Run it with all your hardware (e.g. printers etc) plugged in as it should check whether they will work as well. If it isn't - end of story. If everything checks out OK then it could be worth it, but I suggest you try to find a friend or someone with a newish PC that has W7 and have a go before you decide whether it is worth the cost.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep - remember though the difference between 32/64 bit versions.
If your hardware can support 64 bit, and you go down that route, then you'll need specific 64 bit drivers.
So while your PC may be fine, you might have problems with older hardware.
Having 64 bit on my new Dell, when I got it in January, I didn't consider that my 5 year old Konica Minolta laser printer may be an issue. It was.
Printer wasn't even listed on their site anymore under driver downloads.
I searched some forums, and I got it working eventually.
Had to download an unofficial driver and have a nerving 30 second wait while a command prompt window reflashed the controller firmware. My version was apparaently quite old, which wouldn't have worked without an upgrade.
Was nearly a very heavy paperweight Grin