cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I download Windows 7

Not applicable

Re: Should I download Windows 7

You will notice by all the innuendos  Roll_eyes  that Fox and Hairy Biker can't pass up the chance to do a bit of Windows-bashing v Linux superiority.  However, they do have a point and Linux is very good (plus it is free of course). For instructions on how to dual-boot with one of the Linux distros feel free to hop off to the Linux forum where they would just love to make another convert by telling you how wonderful Linux is and exactly how to install and run same.  Cheesy
As for the question, you can stick with XP until they stop supporting it I suppose (don't know the exact date) but I would say that yes,  if you can run to the cost then go for it.
I would prefer to get a new machine rather than upgrade 'cos then you will have all the benefits of a fast processor, better graphics, plenty of RAM etc etc.
Don't know what you do with your computing but most folk just do fairly basic stuff like surfing/email etc so you could argue that you might as well just stick with XP.
The difference is that all this can be done on W7 but it's nicer.   Cool
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

In the days when I struggled with Windows, the fact that it was supported or unsupported made little difference.
Are you planning to give Microsoft a ring and say "I think this bit isn't working?"
If your OS works now, then it will continue to work until you want to run some program that requires an OS that was written a bit more recently.
Actually @poppy I am cursed with having to have both XP and Windows 7 machines.
Speaking as an occasional user, XP is slow but easier to use whilst Windows 7 is just a pain.
Windows 7 generates more irritating messages of the kind that say "are you a moron?".

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

@Poppy I did not mention Linux in my post at all, I just asked the Q about availably I don't use W7 or Vista and haven't looked at d/ling either. If I want to try a different OS I just d/l a sample and if it doesn't work all I have wasted is a cd ... Roll_eyes
Steve
Seasoned Pro

You pair always come on the windows threads and hint about linux, Your the only two that do it, And its irritating.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yup if you dont know the answer to a windows question, dont answer Tongue Tongue
Not applicable

Well, it doesn't irritate me whatsoever - in fact I find it amusing. When I referred to it it was only meant as a bit of fun.
We are all different and it is what makes life interesting and stimulating. 
Carry supporting your OS boys - it's no worse than supporting England!  Wink
Sorry about the interruption idlewis so will get back onto topic.  You could use the analogy of traveling by train first class.
You will still get to your destination in second class but when you arrive you will feel all the more relaxed and contented should you
pay the extra and go first.  Now that I am used to W7 (didn't like it at first - predictably), I find it very stable and pleasant to use.
If you have a pal or family member running it why not go and ask to try it?
idlewis
Grafter

Thank you for all your replies.  I will consider whether I should get Windows using the opinions in the thread. 
Thanks again for all your advice. Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star

@SteveM, well given the title of this thread I thought my comments about downloading and testing were perfectly justified. I don't use/buy M$ OS's so am unaware of how they distribute them now. (I did download Vista from M$ about 4 years ago .. so maybe they do allow downloads)
If you can't stand a little ribbing in the forum get out of the kitchen mate. I do try and make suggestions to help people on here and not just snipe at them all the time.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: A
Windows 7 generates more irritating messages of the kind that say "are you a moron?".

I actually find W7 better in that respect.
Whenever I am faced with a clean XP machine I have to do the following (otherwise it annoys the hell out of me):
Turn off language bar.
Show all files.
Show file extensions of registered files.
Have to dismiss various 'Do you want a tour of Windows XP' prompts.
Do the registry change to disable balloon tips.
Do the second change to disable the tips that pop up when you send something to a printer.
Change Security Center (sic) to advise me of nothing, rather than everything.
Disable Desktop Cleanup Wizard from appearing via Control Panel -> Desktop.
Disable Windows Firewall.
Disable Automatic Updates.

I got a Dell desktop and recently wiped it clean, to get rid of the 'useful' stuff Dell pre-install that I don't want .. you know the things like Microsoft Works, a trial of Office Home and Student, the one month trial of McAfee and the so called 'free' games which don't display ads or try to encourage you to buy other games.
I found all that was necessary was:
Show all files.
Show file extensions of registered files.
Change Action Center (sic) to advise me of nothing, rather than everything.
Disable User Account Control.
Disable Automatic Updates.

The balloon tips don't annoy me so much (probably because they disappear), so I haven't bothered with those. Oh and at least W7 doesn't do the thing when you have to select a 'show all files' label when looking at the contents of the HD.
Like yourself, I'd rather there just be an option during install labelled to the effect of "I am not an idiot and know what I am doing, please don't prompt me to do anything".
Sadly that's not likely to happen, and at least W7 is slightly better.
(Edited for typos and missing the language bar off the list!)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: poppy
Sorry about the interruption idlewis so will get back onto topic.  You could use the analogy of traveling by train first class.
You will still get to your destination in second class but when you arrive you will feel all the more relaxed and contented should you
pay the extra and go first.  Now that I am used to W7 (didn't like it at first - predictably), I find it very stable and pleasant to use.
If you have a pal or family member running it why not go and ask to try it?

Unfortunately I do have W7 in the house.
Don't like it.
If you install something it gets its own entry in the list of programs that can be run.
Finding the program you want is tedious.
I seem to remember that Windows 3.1 was just as bad though.
Unfortunately, not being a geek, I don't know about all those registry hacks that you have to do to make it work.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: poppy
Carry supporting your OS boys - it's no worse than supporting England!   Wink
Thats all very well and good, But keep it on topic with linux rather than hi-jacking windows threads all the time, You know its not really the done thing, And you know it makes sense. Oh and @ HB, Please dont patronise me buddy, I never said you dont help out here or words to that effect!! Perhaps tis you that cant stand a little ribbing hmmn?
Not applicable

Steve - where did that 'You know it makes sense' come from?  It rings a bell but I can't remember - was it someone's catch phrase or in an advertisement?
If someone doesn't tell me it will really annoy me for the rest of the day.  Please anyone?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I have no idea, Sorry.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Maybe I Am being thick but WHERE did I suggest the user try Linux in this thread?
I "don't hijack threads all the time" to promote Linux, I make suggestions about solving the problem, or about having had the same problem in the past. I feel that the 2 of you are being super critical, is it because England is loosing? Grin (If they are? I don't follow footy but there has been a definite lack of "England scores again" in the news)
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Idlelewis I apologise for going off topic, I'm outta here Crazy