cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I download Windows 7

idlewis
Grafter

Should I download Windows 7

Can anyone give me advice about Windows 7 and whether it will good one to go for or not.
Thanks
Idem
36 REPLIES 36
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Should I download Windows 7

It depends what you are running at present.
If it is Vista then yes.
If it is XP it rather depends on your computer specs and whether you think you need it.
I do hope that the title of this thread isn't suggesting that you would download a pirated version but you would of course buy a fully licensed copy  Roll_eyes
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

What you mean you can't download a trial copy to see if it works on your hardware ?  Shocked  Grin
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You can indeed install it without entering any keys or activating and it will run for a limited time, can't recall exactly what though.
I did that myself while deciding whether to use 32-bit or 64-bit, though I had already bought it and had all the media.
Not sure whether you can download it though, you may need to borrow a DVD.
And do it on a separate hard disk, don't mess with your current install especially if it's XP.
(you can dual-boot with XP but W7, like Vista before it, takes control with it's own boot mechanism)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The title suggests that you are dissatisfied with your current OS.
Which suggests that you probably ought to be considering changing to a different manufacturer. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

idlewis
Grafter

I am fine what I have got but I saw an advert on my PC about Windows 7 and I wondered it will be even better than I have just now.
Quote from: A
The title suggests that you are dissatisfied with your current OS.
Which suggests that you probably ought to be considering changing to a different manufacturer. Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Oldjim
It depends what you are running at present.
If it is Vista then yes.
If it is XP it rather depends on your computer specs and whether you think you need it.

I agree, but given that an Upgrade copy of Windows 7 costs approximately £80 you really have like it quite a lot.  AFAIK Windows 7 is not available for legal download but you can run a copy for 30 days without activating it, if you can borrow a disc.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

And how easy is it to remove if you decide you don't like it? Does it appear in Add/Remove programs?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Why dont you do a bit of searching the web to see if windows 7 will be suitable for you and whether its worth it or not?
PS dont try illegal copys of windows 7, You will be caught out!!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't forget to set aside a few hours to read through all the EULA's Smiley
If your copy is deemed illegal by Microsoft - and Windows 7 will phone home on a regular basis, then I expect it will be an expensive business.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Hairy
And how easy is it to remove if you decide you don't like it? Does it appear in Add/Remove programs?

No, it appears in Add/Remove Operating Systems    NOT!
The best thing to do would be to install it to a dedicated partition.   
zubel
Community Veteran

On the desktop, I can wholeheartedly recommend Win7 over both XP and Vista.
It's an enormous improvement over Vista, and once you have got used to it, it's also an improvement over XP.
I've found it to be incredibly stable, very good with hardware detection straight off the disc, much faster (both actual and perceived) over both Vista and XP, and worth the £80 upgrade cost.
I'll not get into the "alternative manufacturer" discussion, suffice to say that I recommend the right tool for the job. Smiley
B.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but if Idlewis machine is as old as it seems from another post, it might not be up to Win 7
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC is ready for Windows 7. It scans your hardware, devices, and installed programs for known compatibility issues, gives you guidance on how to resolve potential issues found, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displa...
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: idlewis
Can anyone give me advice about Windows 7

Back to basics:
1. No, best to start by reading some articles about it  Cool
2. Why - because we know nothing about you?  Wink
3. So, why not tell us why you think it might be relevant and what you use at present....  Undecided