cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcut not working ! (It is now ! ! ) NEW PROBLEM !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Shortcut not working ! (It is now ! ! ) NEW PROBLEM !

I have managed to get my favourite Picture Editing Program < Irfanview > to work on my Linux MINT 11 laptop..... (Please don`t ask for instructions ! !)..I cobbled a bit of this and a bit of that and suddenly it appeared !..
Problem I have now, is that I have made a "link" or shortcut, and placed it on the desktop, but it only opens Irfanview, when I right click on it and then click on "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader"...
How can I make that "link", or shortcut, actually "open" Irfanview?
18 REPLIES 18
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Shortcut on desktop not working !

Right click it on, choose Properties, click the "Open With" tab, and then change the default application to Wine.
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: Shortcut on desktop not working !

Bingo...... Thanks very much !  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: Shortcut on desktop not working ! (It is now ! ! )

New problem..... still with Irfanview...... !
When I right click on a pic , I get a menu... "open with Image Viewer"... or "open with....." but Irfanview is not listed in the "Open with" list of progs...
I do have
Firefox Web Browser
Gimp
gThumb Image viewer
Wine Core exe
Wine Core exe
Wine Core exe
Wine Core  exe
Wine Windows Program Loader

How do I get it onto the "other application list" ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Re: Shortcut not working ! (It is now ! ! ) NEW PROBLEM !

Did you run the Irfanview installer in wine, and get an Irfanview icon added to the main Applications menu?
shutter
Community Veteran

No, I don`t think so, cos I haven`t got an Icon on the menu....
I remember copying the whole folder ( plus the  mfc42.dll  )  from my windows laptop, to the C/drive on the Mint 11 laptop, and then clicking things, and eventually it worked !
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The easiest way will be to run the Irfanview installer in wine and then everything should be set up automatically.
shutter
Community Veteran

It`s already working !.... all I want is for me to click on the first pic in a folder, and open it directly with Irfanview... as an "open with..... " operation on a Right click...
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Yes, but Wine would have done the integration of Irfanview into the rest of the Linux desktop for you during the installation. When the Irfanview installer created a shortcut (a .lnk file) for the Windows start menu, Wine would have created a .desktop file to put Irfanview into the Applications menu, and it can also deal with registering file types. It should also extract the icons from the .exe and put them in the right places.
If you insist on setting it up manually, you have to create the .desktop file yourself, e.g. create a text file ~/.local/share/applications/irfanview.desktop , contents something like:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Irfanview
GenericName=Image Viewer
Comment=View images with Irfanview
Categories=Graphics;
Icon=wine
Exec=wine start /unix /REPLACE/THIS/WITH/THE/UNIX/PATH/TO/IRFANVIEW.EXE %f
MimeType=image/bmp;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/jpg;image/pjpeg;image/png;image/tiff;image/x-bmp;image/x-gray;image/x-icb;image/x-ico;image/x-png;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xpixmap;image/x-pcx;image/svg+xml;image/svg+xml-compressed;image/vnd.wap.wbmp;
StartupNotify=true
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm ,... Thanks for that,... BUT>...... what do I do with it, once I have copied it... where do I "create it"...
This is the BIG problem with Linux,..... people like me, want to be able to use it. but do not know what people like you are talking about, speaking to me, (and anyone else) in "general descriptive terms" which "experienced" linux users understand, does absolutely nothing for the likes of me. this is a real minefield....
On the one hand "it is easy to set up using wine"... makes sense to you..... but means very little to someone who only has a very vague idea of what wine is.  Yes... I know it is a  "windows EMULATOR"... hence the algorithm WINE... but it doesn`t really Emulate windows.....if it did..... then all you would need to do to run ANY windows prog, would be to install WINE.... and then click on "Open with WINE"...
On the other hand.... I`ll just nip down to the Off Licence, and get a bottle to "Open with......... Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

create a text file ~/.local/share/applications/irfanview.desktop

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The ~ symbol is your home directory. File and directory names that start with a . are "hidden files". Per-user changes to the Applications menu and default applications for file types are stored in the .local/share/applications/ directory within your home directory.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

For the benefit of other people who might want to associate Windows programs installed in Wine with file types on the Linux desktop, Wine didn't do that bit automatically, my previous example doesn't work, but something based on of Wine's own (wine-extension-jpe.desktop) does work:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=IrfanView
MimeType=image/bmp;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/jpg;image/pjpeg;image/png;image/tiff;image/x-bmp;image/x-gray;image/x-icb;image/x-ico;image/x-png;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xpixmap;image/x-pcx;image/svg+xml;image/svg+xml-compressed;image/vnd.wap.wbmp;
Exec=wine start /ProgIDOpen IrfanView %f
NoDisplay=true
StartupNotify=true
Icon=7BE4_i_view32.0
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Just a question, but what is it that IrfanView does that makes it so essential for you? There are a number of native image viewers available for Linux systems these days, including the rather minimalist feh which I use.
I'd generally recommend using WINE only as a last resort.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well my copy of WINE automatically installs M$ files, No need to choose open with wine I just double click on the icon and the installer opens and installs the program in the wine folder, adding an icon to the wine menu and if I want it a desktop shortcut (not normally).
You could also look at Vineyard which is a sort of front end for Wine.
As to it not showing in the open with the reason is you didn't INSTALL it you copied it. Try installing it or opening it and choosing the associate with function.
@BB if you look further down the list here you will see why he wants it, we had an extensive thread on it a while back.