Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shock Dell REFUNDS M$ Licence cost

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Shock Dell REFUNDS M$ Licence cost

To true, the old "I know how this works/is I don't want to learn something new" syndrome.
It is how banks/insurance companies etc, hang on to their customers even when there it is a better offer elsewhere.
For Joe Public, all they really want is a machine that lets them browse and read emails. For hardcore gamers there will always be a newer graphics card that runs the game 3fps faster for only £300, a must have  Sad
I used to be a "latest/fastest" type of guy, I once spent £500 on a 486/50(The fastest processor there was at the time) but these days I have added more memory and replaced dead Hdd's and that is it. I am still using the graphics card I bought about 4 years ago for £100, not top of the line then but good value. My gaming on my PC is limited to Gweled & Solitare  Crazy
I have an Xbox360 to play games on on the wide screen TV with full surround sound if I want it thrown in. In the 2+ years I have had the xbox it hasn't needed any upgrades  Shocked to play the latest games
Not applicable

My gaming on my PC is limited to Gweled & Solitare

Ditto!
Biker has it spot on - most people don't want anything more than a simple OS without all the bells and whistles.
Forgot to say that when jmdlp has her Windows 7 upgrade sorted she wants me to set up a dual-boot with Ubuntu on the Dell.
To say that she had never seen Linux before she just got playing straight away and took to it like a duck to water.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Axisofevil
Provided the remote machine is running an appropriate server, there are lots of secure programs which will connect to a pre-started server and login

Not from the last time I tried. There was nothing like RD which would allow the input of a username and password to login to a remote box that hadn't already got a user logged on.
With windows you can. The box boots, hangs about at the login screen and then you can login remotely and see your real desktop. I've never managed to find this same functionality yet with any linux distro. There are alternatives which do come close but for my uses none of them would work as the user would already need to be logged on locally at that machine (and without the keyboard, mouse and monitor plugged in thats pointless isn't it).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

Thats a very interesting link!
Only thing I did notice is that it lists the clients but not the servers! EG XP uses the terminal server to logon to a users real desktop (not a virtual one as most linux equivalents use). I can run a VNC server in linux or several other variants but they would never let me use my own real desktop which was disappointing. In the end I gave up! Luckily I'd not wasted a hardware PC to try it all on - just a virtual machine so I just binned it!
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Ok, can it run without a mouse, keyboard and monitor attached?

Don't see why not.
- Allowing a user to login remotely like Remote Desktop?

Never used Remote Desktop but remote logins are possible.
Oh hang on, I forgot with linux you have to login first locally and setup a VNC server to accept outside connections.

Install linux, login and configure it for the way to want to use it. Don't see the problem with that.
Long time since I used VNC but I vaguely recall running it from the same script the display manager (probably gdm) was loaded from.
Or, SSH in, use command line or put up with virtual desktops which are not your own REAL desktop.

The last time I did something like this I used xdmcp - not the most secure protocol known to man but for connections within your own network behind a firewall it shouldn't
pose a problem - all of DM can be configured to use it.
With the local desktop running on vt7 something like

# X :1 -query <IP address of remote machine>

would start a second X session on vt8 connected to the display manager on the remote machine allowing you to login to the remote desktop.
Switch between local and remote desktops with CTRL, ALT & F7 and CTRL, ALT & F8
The only REAL desktop was the one I was sat in front of with the monitor atop.  Grin
I guess if you wanted to do that from Windows you'd need to install an X server with xdmcp support.
[...] With windows there are many ways to solve problems; ask friends, go on forums, ring tech support etc.

That's almost enough to make me envious.
7up
Community Veteran

But you see all that tech speak is way over my head. I've never got linux to successfully install many packages (despite following the desctructions to the letter) so  I doubt it would work out for me.
With windows its a click of a mouse, enter the machine name or IP and it connects to an already logged on session or logs on the user and displays their own desktop. By this I mean I see MY icons, MY wall paper, MY menus etc. Every remote access software I tried in linux would not do this - it would just give me a generic desktop which wasn't mine.
For some reason in linux circles that seems to be hard for people to grasp.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I must admit I didn't follow what you were trying to explain to me.
Since I'd never taken the trouble to set-up Linux remote desktops, I assumed it was my fault.
If you want to see your genuine local desktop - no problem, you sign on and there it is.
To log-in to a remote desktop I could (if necessary) start a second session and do a remote login.
If I should want to allow foreign machines to run sessions on my real machine - then this can be done in a similar way.
But like I said - I don't personally have a use for these features. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
But you see all that tech speak is way over my head. I've never got linux to successfully install many packages (despite following the desctructions to the letter) so  I doubt it would work out for me.

Uh-huh. Easier to argue it can't be done I suppose.
With windows its a click of a mouse, enter the machine name or IP and it connects to an already logged on session or logs on the user and displays their own desktop. By this I mean I see MY icons, MY wall paper, MY menus etc.

Sounds remarkably similar to what I can do.
Every remote access software I tried in linux would not do this - it would just give me a generic desktop which wasn't mine.

A quick googling to here and a download from there woul've done the trick I guess.
For some reason in linux circles that seems to be hard for people to grasp.

Aye. Go figure.  Roll_eyes
7up
Community Veteran

So you're telling me that you can enter a user name and password and logon to your real desktop in the same way as Remote Desktop? - With none of this selecting screens/sessions stuff? - Even if the user has not logged on locally?
WOW! Tell me more... you've got my attention.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Back OT.
Just found out on the Mint blog that the person donated his refund to Mint <a href="http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1073">Click here</a>
linux
Grafter

Quote from: Waldo
With windows its a click of a mouse, enter the machine name or IP and it connects to an already logged on session or logs on the user and displays their own desktop. By this I mean I see MY icons, MY wall paper, MY menus etc.

Sounds remarkably similar to what I can do.

And remarkably similar to what I was doing a decade ago, with my Windows 98SE laptop running an X Windows server (can't remember which) connected via 56k dial-up to a Sun UltraSPARC network at work. Once connected I could easily use my (remote) Unix CDE desktop environment on my (local) laptop, exactly as if I was sitting at the Unix box at work. OK, so 56k dial-up was slow, but it worked.
I have no experience of Microsoft's Remote Desktop, so I don't know whether it can be compared directly to the X Window System. But with the X Window System now 25 years old, Remote Desktop seems to be something of a Johnny-come-lately.