cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shame on Microsoft - Secret Updates

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Shame on Microsoft - Secret Updates

I thought I'd follow on Gods current shamings of some of the "big boys" in software. This time, it is the turn of Microsoft.
It seems that they have been doing updates on files on the end users system, even if Windows Update isn't enabled. So far it's only files used by Windows Update itself that have been altered, but who knows what could be next?
Article Here
Discuss Smiley
18 REPLIES 18
God
Grafter

Re: Shame on Microsoft - Secret Updates

I agree Mike, from what I can see so far it doesnt look to onerous, only time will tell though. Having siad that it's the principle that matters and Micro$oft seem to be breaking their own rules. We will have to see what info comes to light on this one!
Will
Grafter

LOL, let's all move back to XP Cheesy
God
Grafter

The stealth update is occuring on both XP and Vista.
Will
Grafter

ahh no!! Sad
Back to Win98 for me then Wink
Wait, it BSOD's every 5 mins, guess I stuck with this.... lol
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Just need to use a Linux OS Wink
God
Grafter

*God Visibly Shudders*
pjemmanuel
Grafter

There is a way to turn off automatic updates that goes beyond the Control Panel settings - and will truly turn them off.
For XP go into Control Panel and turn off Automatic Updates in the control panel applet. Then go to Administrative tools (If you are using Category view, you need to go through Performance and Maintenance). Double click on the Services icon. In the window that opens find "Automatic Updates" in the list. Double click on it. Stop the service with the button, then when stopped, select disabled from the pull down list.
OK out of that box, then find "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" in the list and double click it. It should already be stopped, but if not, stop it with the button. Then set it as disabled.
Now Automatic updates is fully off the computer will not even download them. You can still visit the Windows update site and install items manually from there.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yea, I prefer to do that but it is quite a hassle (I do it on any machines that may be accessed by the outside world).
Also, IIRC, when BITS is enabled, it's not only Windows Update that can use it to transfer files to a machine. I'm sure I read a technet article about how to create a BITS-utilising application that transfers files. Pretty dangerous IMO.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I do it myself, and have done since Windows 2000 when an automatic update messed up on the computer and I ended up having to do a complete reinstall. My current PC and kids laptops are also set up like this now. I visit the Windows update site once a week and pick out what needs to be updated on my computer and the laptops.
One thing that really annoys me is that shutting down Automatic updates requires stopping the services I mentioned; why is it that when you disable it in the control panel, Windows doesn't immediately disable the services?
Perhaps it's to provide opportunities to do just what Microsoft has done.
oliverb
Grafter

Quote from: Phil_E

One thing that really annoys me is that shutting down Automatic updates requires stopping the services I mentioned; why is it that when you disable it in the control panel, Windows doesn't immediately disable the services?

Because you're only disabling "Windows update" and not "Windows update update" Smiley
God
Grafter

The secret update fubar's 'XP Repair'. http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070927/#story1
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yep I read that today and forgot to post the article up here. Just goes to show, don't hide updates if you're going to mess things up in the future, else people will get a bit miffed, and confused as to why it broke if nothing has changed. Tongue
samuria
Grafter

Whats more important is these secret updates screw up Xp so if you try and do a repair from the cd it wont work.
If XP crashes you could be in trouble I believe there is a fix to fix the fix
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
Whats more important is these secret updates screw up Xp so if you try and do a repair from the cd it wont work.

That's what Gods post pointed to Tongue
Question is: Will the fix be given out secretly?