cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shame on Corel - 'Spyware' - psiservice.exe

God
Grafter

Shame on Corel - 'Spyware' - psiservice.exe

Well having given Adobe a tongue lashing now it is Corel's turn.
Installing Paint Shop Pro Photo x2 also entitles you to some free unannounced third party spyware courtesy of Corel.
I initially noticed it on a slow boot and went to see what process was hogging the processor and found the culprit reading 50%
This installation happens with the full or try before you buy version, you get psiservice.exe (by Protexis) installed and running on your PC as a service. Its job is to authenticate and gather licensing info from your computer for its various customers.
Now considering the EULA doesn't ask if you want to install the third party software and fails to uninstall it along with the application it supports that is extremely poor.
So having uninstalled the main application I now have to manually uninstall the spyware!
It is clearly the intention of Protexis that the service is left running on your machine forever, however on their website they do provide instructions for manually removing it!
Remove the following registry entry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
Services\ProtexisLicensing]
Reboot your computer
Delete the following files:
%windir%\System32\PSIService.exe
%windir%\System32\PSIKey.exe

Oh how I hate DRM!
4 REPLIES 4
God
Grafter

Re: Shame on Corel - 'Spyware' - psiservice.exe

Agreed, but that should have been a lesson to all software publishers!
samuria
Grafter

This is a good reason for running winpatrol or similar as it wont let any new service/ startup prog start without you say its ok. This stops all this sort of thing and most spyware
God
Grafter

Looks quite good, what is it like on overheads? Does it tend to conflict with other security products at all?
God
Grafter

Time for me to suggest a program now... Fed up with lengthy EULA's that you should read but cant be bothered to?
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/eulalyzer.html
Eulalyzer scans eula's and highlights the important bits.  Wink