cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup Plusnet with Eero 6

JH_BEM

Setup Plusnet with Eero 6

Hi All,

I'm seeking to install a MESH system as I'm suffering WiFi deadspots.

Been hearing a lot about the Eero 6 (and 6 Pro) but I'm not sure how I would set this up.

If anyone who has set it up or knows how could comment below with some simple-to-follow instructions that would be fantastic.

9 REPLIES 9
JH_BEM

Re: Setup Plusnet with Eero 6

at the same time I'm rather confused by trying to understand what I need to successfully connect it all up...

I read words like:

• Router
  • Modem
  • Bridge
  • Gateway

I'm not sure of these what I need, what I might have etc.

I just have the Plusnet Hub One in use - I did have a WiFi extender but it was causing more hassle as devices were hopping from one WiFi network to the other.

•  

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@JH_BEM 

Maybe this will help....

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-a-wi-fi-mesh-network

This link has some diagrams of setups, which may also help.

https://www.vsolcn.com/blogs-detail/how-to-set-up-mesh-wifi-networks

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@JH_BEM 

Your hub one Is both a router and modem in a single box, the modem handles the internet connection to plusnet and the router then distributes this connectivity around your house via WiFi or Ethernet.

The Mesh system takes over the connectivity around your house and most easily thought of a a replacement for the WiFi/connectivity provided by Hub. There are more complex networking scenarios available but these are beyond the scope of this post 😉.

In order to achieve this the Hub  needs to be configured to be in modem/bridge mode.Both terms are used interchangeably. 

The WiFi on the Hub should be disabled.

The Mesh system then needs to be configured,the eero system has its own app I believe which walks you through the process.

At some point during the configuration process you will to enter your plusnet login credentials xxx@plusdsl.net and account password, also the connection type which is PPPOE if required.

This is a simplified overview of the process and of course the devil is always in the detail for the specific Mesh system you go for

HTH

You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

In order to achieve this the Hub  needs to be configured to be in modem/bridge mode.Both terms are used interchangeably. 

the Hub 1 does not support bridge mode I'm afraid, the Hub does

The Mesh system then needs to be configured,the eero system has its own app I believe which walks you through the process.

the eero does use an app, it has no built in gui. Whilst it does support pppoe, in order to switch it to pppoe it will need a workingn Internet connection to enable the app to connect to it to reconfigure.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JH_BEM

Thank you everyone...

so I should have received a Hub Two as I recently upgraded - so I guess I need to go to Customer Services and chase that up.

Then with the Hub Two I can set it up to Modem/Bridge mode and take things from there.

I might be back for more help from the community - for now Thank you!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@JH_BEM  I've been looking into the Eero recently as one of my neighbours is getting Full fibre from Talktalk and they supply an Eero. For my sins, I offered to go and help him set it up!

As a wireless Mesh system it may well be good, but as a router I'm not so sure. It only has one wired LAN port, so if you have wired connections you're going to need a network switch. The lack of a gui for configuration concerns me, you can only configure it with the app, and must have a working internet connection to do so, which implies that the app communicates with the Eero via Amazons servers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JH_BEM

Thanks - really helpful insight.

So I'm also looking at the TP-Link which has Powerline capability.

As it might be that I can actually get away with simply having a powerline to the essential items.

The Plusnet Hub currently I have got a few things cabled in. For my lack of knowledge I sort of assumed I could continue using it as a place to have things wire into.

From the reading and your post it appears that I need to get a network switch and plug it in into the one available port - the other being connected to the PlusNet - so I can wire 'backhaul' the tv, console etc. in the living room.
I would then powerline our smart boiler to the router I think...

All new stuff to me to be honest...

I could go back to just using a powerlink for the boiler which is tucked away (so poor signal) and then leave the rest as it is.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

From the reading and your post it appears that I need to get a network switch and plug it in into the one available port - the other being connected to the PlusNet

Correct. I've had to advise my neighbour exactly that, he's currently got a Hive hub and a security camera system wired to his router.

Markfresh

Hi

This thread comes up in search results, so these tips may help someone else.
My set-up: Plusnet Broadband, Hub 2 router and new Eero Plus mesh router

How to set up:
Login to the router http://192.168.1.254/ as admin, it's best if you have a wired connection e.g. laptop with ethernet cable plugged into the router" just in case"
Take note of your username on the connections setting, it'll be something like xxxxxxx@plusdsl.net
You'll need to know your password too for later

In advanced settings, set to bridging mode. This makes the Hub 2 a modem.
Unplug any ethernet cables from the Hub 2, keep the phone line in there.

Follow the instructions on the eero app set up
Do not plug the ethernet cable from the eero into the WAN port as suggested; plug it into one of the three other ports.
For me, the eero app could not connect to the internet, so then I clicked "internet settings" 
Select PPPOE, then enter your Plusnet username and password (remember to add @plusdsl.net, I didn't and that wasted ages)
Click "save/apply"
Click "try wired connection"
Bingo! The eero even uses some Alexa devices to extend the wifi too.

Good luck