Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up3G wifi dongle on android tablet

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Setting up3G wifi dongle on android tablet

Hi folks... tablet nooby here ! ! ! ...
got this tablet....  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251494872310?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
Instruction book is very small, needs magnifying glass to read.. and the photocopier printed the "relevant" pics as black blobs !.. so I have to fumble my way around the screens to get things working... not a bad idea.. as..... how many people actually read the manual anyway??????? 
OK.. managed to get it to work on my plusnet wifi connection... no big problems there...
however, I will be wanting to connect via my 3G dongle.... and use my FREE wifi connection courtesy of SAMBA MOBILE...
unfortunately, there does not seem to be any instruction on how to do that... when I plug the dongle into my normal laptop, it shows an Autorun.exe file.... which I think did the setup when I first got it... ( 2 years ago )...
When i plug it into the tablet, it flashes, as though it is trying to find the 3G signal and connect... but I don`t get any setup instruction or connected instruction on the screen...
any ideas? any help? any instructions to try, much appreciated.... Thanks..
12 REPLIES 12
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Setting up3G wifi dongle on android tablet

Never done it BUT:
Open the settings with the dongle plugged IN.
Is there anything shown under wifi/ethernet etc.
As I told you I use a 3g router so all this is hidden and I don't need the telephony stuff.
shutter
Community Veteran

Your 3G router?.... is this for "home" use,...or can you use it "out and about" ?  like when you are nowhere near starbucks/McD`s..
Hmm... found something in the settings, that shows 3G ... with "no service"... so maybe it is just a poor signal area, and it sets up/connects automatically... will go out "in the field" and see what happens... and report back...
(was expecting it to show on the main screen when the dongle was plugged in... big red L plate for me ! ! )....
HairyMcbiker
All Star

No it is a portable wifi hotspot using a 3g dongle, I told you about it when you asked me about tablets & 3g dongles.
As I say I have NO info on this other than it should appear in the settings area.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@shutter, This might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohiwi--OiMM
When the dongle is plugged in, Mobile Network should be available in the Wireless & networks section of Settings.
You will need to enter the APN details for your mobile network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

OK. HB... being a bit dim here.... Your setup sounds like it "provides" a wifi hotspot for you, and other(s) to connect to your wifi connection or your laptop... My dongle only allows one unit to connect, i.e. my laptop/tablet.
@MisterW.... I seem to have the relvant APN info on the tablet, ( similar to the youtube video)... and one section shows the signal bars as 2 bars, and "no service" alt flashing with 3G ...
However, without moving the dongle, I can connect the usb extender to my laptop, and it will provide a service on 3 signal bars...  so not sure what is happening.... it seems like it is set up to work, but maybe there is a password or something I am missing...
I also found this
APN
three.co.uk
Proxy
not set
Port
not set
Username
not set
Password
not set.

OK.... don`t know what I have done..... but am now connected on my 3G dongle !  Cheesy  will go back through the pages, and see what processes/pages I went through, so I can find the route again, if needed !...
Thanks for your brainstorming... it is great fun learning how to get this stuff working... only wish the instruction book ( the size of half a sheet of toilet paper and badly photocopied).. had more instructions in it !...
cheers guys.. onwards and upwards...  Wink
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Having had problems with using a mobile phone as a pseudo dongle with linux Shocked I decided against a dongle and got a Huawei E5220 off ebay (for a couple of £ more). It provides both dongle and hotspot type connections and, with a range extender, an emergency service when my ADSL drops out/becomes unusable (though my "excellent signal indoors" network rating requires it to dangle from the curtain rail in an upstairs front bedroom - the nearest cell is 450m away and "below ground", the next @ 730m is directly behind an A&E hospital Roll_eyes )
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
nadger
Rising Star

Well done shutter  Smiley
Shows there's still life in the old salt water soaked grey cells  Wink
Must admit I've only ever paired my Nexus7 to android 3G phone using bluetooth.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: shutter
OK. HB... being a bit dim here.... Your setup sounds like it "provides" a wifi hotspot for you, and other(s) to connect to your wifi connection or your laptop... My dongle only allows one unit to connect, i.e. my laptop/tablet.

As I said to you in pm's I have one of these that didn't work with my E169 so I got one of these instead (after getting a full refund of course, since it said it worked with E169's)
You plug the dongle into it and it then provides a local hotspot and a lan connection for laptops that don't have wifi.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... thanks for the reply...  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well I got an email from samba this morning saying thanks for all the fish  Cry
Bummer as I was 10Gb in credit.
shutter