cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up fixed network addresses.

oldgeezer
Grafter

Setting up fixed network addresses.

I have a small home network comprising a Billion 7800n router, a desktop computer, a laptop, smart TV and a simple NAS comprising of a Synology USB2 station and a couple of external hard drives connected to the Synology.
My problem is that if I fire up another bit of kit while doing a backup it aborts the backup. I think that this is due to dynamic network addressing causing conflicts.
Could someone please tell me how to configure all the equipment to provide fixed IP addresses in easy steps that even I could understand ?

3 REPLIES 3
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Setting up fixed network addresses.

Couple of Q.
1. Do you want to manually setup each device or have it done by dhcp?
2. can you access the web page of the router.
If 2 is yes and 1 is dhcp then:-
Open the router webpage, navigate to a page entitled something like "local network" or dhcp settings. In there there should be an option to setup Static ip addresses. Find that.
Then for each device select it and click on the static ip bit, make sure each device gets the right ip.
repeat and rinse.
Or manually:-
On each device enter the network setup:
remove "get ip automatically"
enter the details from the router for gateway, sub netmask, ip address (each different), and dns
Manually means that if anything changes then you will have to repeat the above, automatically means that the router will publish the changes to the devices.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: oldgeezer
My problem is that if I fire up another bit of kit while doing a backup it aborts the backup. I think that this is due to dynamic network addressing causing conflicts.

You may be right, but that really should not happen.  Have you checked you are running the latest software/firmware for your backup device and checked for any reference to this problem on their web site?  If you are right about the cause then the majority of users must be experiencing the same problem.
oldgeezer
Grafter

Yesterday I noticed that a backup failed at the precise moment that the "Smart" TV was turned on.
We've only had the set a short while. It worked out of the box 'so I had no reason to play further.
Anyway by delving into the setup mode I found the internet settings and discovered that the DHCP was disabled.
I enabled DHCP and now the backups complete without fail.
Why the TV default setting should be DHCP disabled I can't imagine.
Anyway thanks for the replies.
Oldgeezer