Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up e-mail on a laptop

mypyrex
Grafter

Setting up e-mail on a laptop

Hello all.
I bought my partner a laptop for Christmas and have set it up to work(wireless) with my pc. However, when I open Outlook Express on the laptop I get the OE page but also get a dialogue box saying "Please enter your username and password for the following user........"
When I click OK all I get is the same message. If I then "cancel" I get an error message saying that the password has been rejected. However. I am using the same password as my plus net on my pc.
Can anyone help please? Sad
2 REPLIES 2
samuria
Grafter

Re: Setting up e-mail on a laptop

You say you have set it up to work with your pc what do you mean ie its connected to the same router or to the actual pc?
does it connect to the internet ok?
do you get the error when you try to download mail from plus net?
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Setting up e-mail on a laptop

To expand a bit on the above reply, as far as I am aware you ‘can’ get a user name and password prompt like this occurring at three places when starting OE and depending at which place this happens this may be a configuration error or a user name and/or password error.
When you first start OE it will check if it is expected to retrieve your emails from either a ‘dial up’ connection or via a LAN connection. If it finds a dial up setting in the connection box it will ask for the user name and password to establish the connection. In your case this would be a configuration error as OE should be connecting via a LAN (your WiFi) connection.
A note here; if the laptop is connecting to your PC via WiFi in ‘AdHoc’ mode (i.e. not connecting direct to a WiFi router) and your PC is connected to the internet via a USB modem then unless you have ‘bridged’ the connection OE may ask for a user name and password to establish the WiFi (LAN) connection to your PC. I hope not as connecting this way can be complicated unless you understand ‘bridging’ LAN’s.
Once OE has established the connection to the internet the next stage is to log in to your ISP’s mail server and download the emails, this often produces the User name and password prompt because the user has typed in incorrect settings here. Common faults are, wrong username, caps lock on when typing, wrong password etc.
Next OE will try and upload any outstanding new email in the ‘outbox’ (if any) and again a user name and password box may pop up at this point. This is again a configuration error as the Plusnet mail servers do not require log in details to establish a connection.
If you can let us know at which point the pop up box appears we may be able to help further. Regards, P.