cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting-up and using IMAP

RobDickson
Grafter

Setting-up and using IMAP

I've always used POP3 in the past, but am tempted to start using IMAP instead. I have searched these forums, and the web, but am not sure whether IMAP is exactly what I want.
In my PlusNet webmail account, I have 5 folders:
INBOX
DRAFTS
SENT
TRASH
SPAM
In MS Outlook, I have the same five folders (but called something slightly different), plus dozens of other folders.
What I want to achieve is sychronising the Inbox and Sent folders, but not synchronsing the other three webmail folders, or any of the dozens of other folders I have in Outlook. From what I can tell from what I've read about IMAP is that it synchronises all the folders, which isn't what I want.
Looking at the PlusNet e-mail options, I don't actually have to change the e-mail settings in my account, or set-up a new account, I simply have to use a different server, so it doesn't look as if I can specify which folders to synchronise.
I'm sorry if I'm asking something that has already been discussed, but would appreciate any help that people can give.
1 REPLY 1
RobDickson
Grafter

Re: Setting-up and using IMAP

I think I've just found the answer that I'm looking for.
http://helpdesk.rpi.edu/update.do?artcenterkey=612
When I add an IMAP account to Outlook, it adds new folders, so that my existing "Personal Folders" remain unaffected, and the new IMAP folders are the ones that synchronise with the IMAP folders on PlusNet's servers.
Presumably if I move all the e-mails in my personal Inbox and Sent Items folder to my IMAP INBOX and SENT folders in Outllook, then all those e-mails will be uploaded to my PlusNet SENT items folder. I don't actually keep that many e-mails in either folder, so this shouldn't take too long.
I'm not sure what to do with Spam, or how Outlook's spam filter will work with PlusNet's Spam folder, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
If I've misunderstood anything, or anybody has any general IMAP advice, I'd appreciate any comments.