cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a wired network

juliasdream
Grafter

Setting up a wired network

I am trying to set up a network using wired networking.
In one room I have a 4 port ADSL router. One cable goes to a PC and the oyjer must go to a wall socket
The wall socket must have a cable running to another socket in another room.
In the other room there will be an 8 port ethernet hubm a network printer and one, maybe 2 computers
I have developed the skill of making up standard patch cables with RJ45 connectors but I am unsure of the wiring between rooms socket to socket
I'm a bit unsure of the necessary wiring between the two wall mounted sockets.
I assume that all patch cables would be the same and wonder if any crossover cables are necessary? For example: between the wall socket and the hub,
I would apreciate some easy to understand advice on colour orders
especially between the 2 wall sockets
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Njal
Grafter

Re: Setting up a wired network

paulby
Grafter

Wire the wall sockets as "straight through"  - you don't need a crossover.
Pick either 568A or 568B wiring (it doesn't matter which provided you use the same at each socket) -  Njal's links will detail the colour codes.  This page may also help.
Normal patch cables should be used from socket to router and socket to hub as most modern devices will autosense the type (only buy a x-over if standard cables between socket and hub don't work - I've yet to have needed to buy a x-over and I've installed several hubs and switches). 
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

On that note I've bought 2 crossovers before I bought my very first network switch. In this day and age I'd say crossovers are actually far more practical as you can use them between 2 PCs directly OR between switches, PC & switch etc. Thats thanks really to the fact that nearly all modern switches and routers auto detect the cable in use.
With straight through patch cables you can't use them between 2 PCs should you ever need to.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!