cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a wi fi local network

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Setting up a wi fi local network

I have a 2110 router, two XP laptops and a nearly defunct Win 98, I have managed to get the two XP's to see each other but not much else, 
I have looked and googled but no real help, I connected with NETbios, most say dont use that use TCP,  also use the Run command, that is how I connected  192.168.1.2/c$/....  now what do I do?  I would like to transfer some files
12 REPLIES 12
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Setting up a wi fi local network

First make sure they're all in the same workgroup.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One thing you may need to do (there are ways round it but more complicated) is to add a login password to the 98 machine as a blank password makes it very difficult to work with an XP network
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Does that mean I have to set a login password on all three machine?  It looked like if I used NETbios and put he files in the shared part of dos I could get to them without a password.
I currently dont have passwords on any of my logins, I like it like that.
Also dont know what you mean by the workgroup

Long time computer man, but never set up a network
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Only on the windows 98 machine - I can't remember why but that was what i needed to do to get the Windows 98 machines to interface correctly with the XP machine without doing a registry modification
If you are starting from scratch you could try these links - still have them from when I first started with XP
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm
Santiago
Grafter

Have a look here and here
You will find lots of info on setting networks up on windows xp newsgroups here
Each machine should have the same username and password. Run the network wizard and set each machine in the same workgroup
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

As far as I was aware, if you are working in a workgroup environment, and not a domain, if you want all the machines to be able to share files, they must all have the same username and password on them, as they will not inherantly trust each other, unlike in a domain environment. Xp dosnt really like no passwords, but I think that you can set it to allow this in a group policy setting.I would firstly ensure all systems have unique names, and are all in the same workgroup. I think that 98 had a different default workgroup name to XP, but its that long since I worked with 98, cant really remember. Do you use XP home or pro. Pro is better for networking, although XP home can do it. I have set up on my network, enable netBIOS over TCP/IP, in the advanced TCP/IP settings, rather than the default as I dont use the routers DHCP server.  If you really want to have balck passwords allowed for network access then try this, but its only for XP pro. Not sure how or even if you can access the Group Policy editor on XP Home.
[Start] [Run] and type  gpedit.msc and click [OK]
Navigate to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
Double click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only.
Select the radio button next to Disabled and click [OK]
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

To summarise; it's a bit of a nightmare, even for us IT professionals, to network W98 and WXP.
If you have an alternative solution use it - e.g. memory sticks (which need drivers for W98) or writeable CD's.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Forgot to add......  Use the blank passwords at your own risk, its really not a good idea to use these for network access. Huh Huh
samuria
Grafter

If  you want to share files then the ideal way is to share a directory on the pc so others can see it. In XP pro you may have to set it up by going to explorer tools/folder options/view and make sure use simple file sharing is unticked.
Next choose a directory to share right click select properties share and click to share the folder set it for everyone to have access( be aware this could open up your network to anyone). Win98 should now be able to see these folders but you must logon to 98 even if its a blank password if you hit escape there wont be a network. In 98 you should see on the start menu log off fred(the username) if this isnt there you dont have the network working The workgroup setting is in control panel network setting identification
You should be able to view this on the network if you browse and connect in explorer.
A more secure way to connect is to connect to the admin hidden share which you tried to do before by typing at the run/cmd prompt
net use p: \\192.168.1.2/c$
This will then give you a drive p: which is the other pc.
You can save the net use line as a file like davespc.cmd and then if you want to connect in the future just double click on file
change the p: to any drive you want that isnt being use
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Cracked it, my new lap top £250 with 80M and XP, only had 256 ram,  Yes it was brand new with 1 year warrenty.  Got to upgrade that, doesnt like this network malarky, but ok for e-mails and browsing  Cheesy
samuria
Grafter

The laptop should work fine on the network with that spec. I have an old dell with the same specs but a slower cpu and its not fast but work fine on the network sharing files etc.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am not complaining, Did a search for the memory, only one slot had 256 in that, will only take 512 DDR226 200 pin.
Only one I found asked for manufactor, model, then Speced Kingston, Would you believe looked at site details, shop less than 30 mile from me, grand cost £30 including post & VAT Cheesy