Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a media and file storage server

FIXED
DreamVB
Grafter

Setting up a media and file storage server

Hi, I have some old devices and I was thinking od turning one of my old Windows 8 Tablets into a place were I can stream videos to my TV and laptop and also use it as some kind of file storage.

I managed with a little work to get it to share a folder and I am able to connect from my other laptops. and I also managed get media player shareing so I can see movies. the problum is when the tablet goes to sleep, the network just cuts of and I am unable to connect until the tablet is woke up agian.

Is there any other way I can tell the tablet to goto sleep but still have the network still running. also whould it be safe to keep the tablet on the power pack all the time to save the battey draining out? I know with my laptop the power is const connected and seems fine. but not sure about tablets.

if you can think of other ways I can do the above let me know thanls.

2 REPLIES 2
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Setting up a media and file storage server

Fix

You can't maintain the network connection if the tablet goes to sleep. The processor needs to be running in order to respond to requests from the network.

You can set the power profile up so that the screen (the biggest user of power) goes off while the system keeps running.If the disk stops, then there will be a pause while it spins up (shorter if it's an SSD).

If you leave the power connected permanently, you will probably do no harm to the tablet except that over time you will kill the battery. But does that matter.

I have a 2004 vintage Tatung tablet that runs 7/24 and acts as my mail server (albeit running Win7). After 10 years battery life, if the mains fail, is about five minutes, but that copes with short term power dips - so I am happy.

DreamVB
Grafter

Re: Setting up a media and file storage server

Thank for the info. I was up all night and I managed to setup a server app on my Android and the web server worked fine only problem I found was the same software also had a FTP however I was unable to get it to work. so I may look for a separate one. I did find that when the screen went blank it kept all connections.

Surprising today I was on the loft and to my amazement I found an old Windows Vista Laptop, I remember I must have misplaced it when we moved house. I know because it used be very slow. still I was thinking of sticking on Windows 2000, but I need to find a power lead one of the old ones you used to have for a radio may get one of Amazon.

I also setup a no-ip domain name since my IP is never the same. it says it expires after 30 days but I think you just need to update it so it's fine till I find something else.

May I ask what mail server software you use.

Anyway thanks for takeing the time to answer my problem.