cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a VPN Server

engeeaitch

Setting up a VPN Server

Hi - I have a fast fibre connection (76 Mbps) and a Plusnet Hub One modem/router (Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2).  I would like to run a private VPN server from my network.

I have an Asus DSL-N55U router which I have configured as an access point on my network, and have enabled a PPTP VPN Server on this router.  I can successfully connect to this from my phone via Wi-Fi so I am confident that the Asus router is doing what it should.

I have enabled port forwarding on the Plusnet Hub One for ‘PPTP Server’ to my Asus router.  (I have a static IP, so I have not enabled DDNS).  However, I am unable to connect from my phone via the Internet (i.e. with Wi-Fi switched off).  The only clue that I have is this entry in the Plusnet Event Log:

IN: ACCEPT [54] Connection opened (Port Forwarding: TCP [192.168.0.2]:1723 <-​-​> [xxx.xxx.xxx.xx]:1723 -​ -​ -​ [82.132.235.106]:17016 CLOSED/SYN_SENT ppp3 NAPT)

192.168.0.2 is the IP of the Asus router, and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the external IP address of my Plusnet router.  82.132.235.106 is the IP address of my phone network provider (I think).

Does anyone know if what I am trying to do is possible?  If not, is there an alternative solution that is known to work?

Many thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Setting up a VPN Server

it seems to think that port on the Asus is closed, I wonder if it only responds on the WAN port rather than a LAN port?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
engeeaitch

Hi - thanks for your reply - any pointers as to how to fix it?  (I have disabled the firewall on my Asus router).

Thanks.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

What are you trying to achieve?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'