Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up WEP encryption

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Setting up WEP encryption

Hi,
I’m using a D-Link DSL-2640B wireless modem router in conjunction with a Cisco Systems 350 Series PCI wireless card.  Now that my broadband has pretty well settled down I wish to employ some encryption.  My knowledge of setting up encryption is nil and I wonder if there’s anyone out there who is familiar with my router/wireless card combination who can offer me some advice.
Whilst I believe the D-Link can use both WEP and WPA, I'm pretty certain that the Cisco 350 being an old card only offers WEP.
The router has a ‘secure my wireless network’ button which presumably starts the set-up.  I’m concerned on a couple of points – presumably if I mess up I can click this button again to return to non-encrypted wireless – and secondly when I click to ‘apply settings’ the router won’t be re-booted.  I don’t want that to happen as should I do the WEP set up during the evening when my SNR is low the router might sync to lower speed and I take a drop in throughput.
Just a thought - I could turn the router’s power off ‘then’ disconnect the ADSL lead to the master socket and presumably play around without any fear of low re-syncs?
Any help would be appreciated – I’ve held back because I’ve been afraid to make a mess but realistically I don’t want someone gobbling up my bandwidth so it’s time to grasp the nettle as they say…
John
6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Setting up WEP encryption

I think "secure my wireless network" may not do what is expected - you will have to read the manual.
If you enable WEP/WPA then you will need to make appropriate changes to your PC.
However, you will retain full ethernet access to your router (and the internet).
Provided you don't switch the router on several times in a "short" period (perhaps an hour or two), you shouldn't suffer damage to your profile.
You will keep your sync speeds regardless of BT's efforts.
You don't need to disconnect any wires for this.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

axisofevil - thanks for the input.
I went ahead - and was surprised at just how easy it was - couple of minutes and it's sorted!
One of the things that put me off was my wireless card, and indeed the router, had room for four keys but I 'think' that's just so that the key can be changed quickly if necessary.
Anyway encryption is working fine so no one can pinch my bandwidth - like I used to years ago -  woops - didn't say that !!!
Thanks again.
samuria
Grafter

Most router let you restart the wireless without restarting the router so it doesn't effect the  profile. Dont forget that wep can be cracked with simple tool available on the INTERNET if you can add MAC address filtering as well so it will only let you connect
imroberts
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
Most router let you restart the wireless without restarting the router so it doesn't effect the  profile. Dont forget that wep can be cracked with simple tool available on the INTERNET if you can add MAC address filtering as well so it will only let you connect

Dependent on how security conscious you are, it may be worthwhile disabling the SSID broadcast as well.
Just make sure you remember it if you don't intend on using ethernet too Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: samuria

But anyone who is willing to deliberately break your WEP encoding can easily spoof a MAC address.
And WEP is sufficient to prevent usage by your average user.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Don't disable SSID if you are using Vista - there was another thread re the issue-  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,67690.0.html ; - Vista security likes there to be a visible SSID and hiding it doesn't make the network anymore secure anyway.