Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting default program for Office files

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Setting default program for Office files

I bought this laptop just over a year ago - with Win 8 and updated to 8.1  just before Office 2013 came out - and got Office 2010, but with the free upgrade to Offic 2013.
When I eventually installed Office 2013 - it kept 2010 still on the system which is ok by me - but the default program has stayed at 2010 not 2013 .
I know all about the Control panel / default programs et - but I just cant get it to use Office 2013.
OK there are not many reasons to use 2013 over 2010 - but there are a few useful new features.
Can anyone help with how to default to 2013 not 2010.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Setting default program for Office files

Have you tried right clicking on a file and selecting "open with" then browse to get to the appropriate 2013 program if the two versions aren't listed
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Not sure if this would work....
Find the Office 2010 .exe file and rename it Office 2013.exe ..... or rename it to XXXX ophiss 2010 . eze
IF you documents can`t find the proper .exe file...( 2010 version).. it may well go for the 2013.exe version 
If it don`t work...you can always rename it back to the original !.
lowmans100
Dabbler

Swipe in from the right and hit search or hit [windows key + S]
Type 'default programs' choose 'set default programs'
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why not just uninstall office 2010? Why clutter up you computer with two copies of much the same software?
WTF
Grafter

Uninstalling Office 2010 is the way to go BUT you'd also need to re-install Office 2013 to have it set up the file associations.  This would almost certainly be the easiest way to go, though.
Quote from: shutter
Find the Office 2010 .exe file and rename it Office 2013.exe ..... or rename it to XXXX ophiss 2010 . eze

You'd need to rename the executables for each of the Office components - Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc etc
Quote from: shutter
IF you documents can`t find the proper .exe file...( 2010 version).. it may well go for the 2013.exe version

Not automatically.  You'd need to right click each file type, select Open With then locate and select the appropriate Office 2013 executable ..
Of course, Open with would be equally effective without renaming the Office 2010 executables.  The problem is that there are dozens, if not hundreds, of file types associated with the different Office products.
You could check Office 2013 help - search for 'association'.
I'm on Office 2010 and it has the following (not sure how applicable this is to 2013 - it doesn't seem to know about Windows 8 for a start):
If you have more than one installation of a Microsoft Office 2010 suite on your computer we recommend that you uninstall the Click-to-Run based suites to avoid file type association issues. You will have to uninstall the Microsoft Office Starter, Microsoft Office Click-to-Run or Microsoft Office 2010 Trial suite and repair the traditional MSI (Microsoft Installer package) based installation of Microsoft Office 2010:
1.Click Start.
◦For Windows XP, click Run and then click in the Open box.
◦For Windows Vista, click in the Start Search box.
◦For Windows 7, click in the Search programs and files box.
2.Type appwiz.cpl and then click OK.
3.In the Currently installed programs list, select Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010, and click Remove (for Windows XP) or Uninstall (for Windows Vista and Windows 7).
4.You will see a prompt requesting to uninstall your selection. Click Yes.
5.Follow the uninstall instructions, and then restart the computer.
6.Click Start.◦For Windows XP, click Run and then click in the Open box.
◦For Windows Vista, click in the Start Search box.
◦For Windows 7, click in the Search programs and files box.
7.Type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
8.Select the Office 2010 MSI-based suite that you want to repair and click Change.
9.Select Repair, and click Continue. You may have to restart your computer after the repair is completed.