cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting WPA security on Voyager 2091

Velveteen
Dabbler

Setting WPA security on Voyager 2091

I have my BT Voyager 2091 router working on wireless but I have found out that people can hack in and use my internet.  How do I set it to WPA (what ever this means!), I have seen on topics on here that this is the correct setting but I haven't a clue where to start.  I hav tried using the XP help topics but it may aswell be written in swahili!
A step by step guide would be great if anybody could link me to one!
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Velveteen
Dabbler

Setting up WPA with Voyager 2091

Does anybody know a site that will give me step by step instructions on WPA for the above router?  I have no idea what this means other than it will stop other people using my internet access from outside!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Setting WPA security on Voyager 2091

Strange , there doesnt seem to be a manual for the 2091.
Try going here http://www.voyager.bt.com/wireless_devices/voyager_2000/product_info.htm#
select the 'BT Voyager self help guide ' and then select 'Wireless'
Select 'Wireless problems'& 'What is wireless security and how do I set it up'
Then I suggest looking at the link on how to set up WPA for the Voyager 2100, my guess is its going to be pretty similar to the 2091
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

another tip, when you are setting it up connect with the yellow cable, the if you make a mistake you can correct it, if you are on WiFi, you are effectively cattle trucked
chillypenguin
Grafter

mod:note
Please don't spam the boards.
Velveteen
Dabbler

Ok so these are my wireless Network Settings (printed them off).  I tiked a box to select WPA but i'm not sure if it hasworked and I am protected!  Can somebody advise, many thanks:
Network Name (SSID):  (password inserted here!)
Network Key (WEP/WPA Key):  (again a password inserted here!)
Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
Network Authentication Type:  WPAPSK
Data Encryption Type:  TKIP
Connection Type:  ESS
samuria
Grafter

When you connected to the router via wireless did you have to enter a key on the pc before it let you in? If you did it worked if you didnt then it hasnt worked. If you browse for a wireless network most util will show your router and state if its encrypted or open again if its open its not worked. Most router you have to restart for it to work
pierre_pierre
Grafter

delete
Velveteen
Dabbler

Samuria - when I was setting it up I had to type in the a code that was printed underneath the router before I could connect for the first time.  Is this what you meant?
I should have chosen the user name of clueless  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sounds like you did it correct
finrod

I found that many of the links above were no longer active.
This worked for me in switching from wep to wpa2/psk.  It also served to highlight a potential breach caused by an obvious password:
http://www.madasafish.com/support/internet/gettingconnected/setup/voyager2091/internet_security_voya...
hth
Mark