cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up Thunderbird on Ubuntu 9.10

Not applicable

Re: Set up Thunderbird on Ubuntu 9.10

Yes, '98 is a bit ancient. Mine is 2003. I get the feeling that folk who use Publisher are very dedicated to it and won't be
fobbed off with anything else.
I have tried Draw and Scribus but not Inkscape. I am afraid  I didn't care for either but then perhaps I should have tried a bit harder!
Oh and yes, Shutter, Mint is prettier and more elegant than Ubuntu and very highly thought of by its adherents.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

As Poppy says..... it is a bit "ancient"..... but ALL my documents are done with it.  I find it easy to use.... have tried other MS Office apps for DTP and find them very difficult to work around... and takes ages to do what I did / how I did it, with Pub 98..... as the saying goes.......... It works for me..... as already mentioned. more up to date stuff just doesn`t open my old files. so I still need Pub  98  !... might as well keep using it.....
Hey Biker.... you say I`m "stuck in the past"............ when did DOS start?  isn`t that what your using to do things "THE HARD WAY"!  Grin Cheesy Grin  cmd instructions to the computer ! ! ! !
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Cheesy  Wink
Hey I didn't say "I STILL USE DOS"! Shocked I have moved on, and find the terminal easier/quicker than opening a GUI to do the same thing. Having Avant on the bottom of the screen with the terminal app I can move the mouse to the bottom of the screen and type in the command and have it complete before the GUI has opened  Smiley
So does Pub 98 still work in Vista W7  Roll_eyes
Not applicable

Anyway, what's up with being stuck in the past? It's a sight better than the present in some cases!    Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star

There's a great saying in Hawick (A local town) and that is :-
"It's Aye Been" - Meaning Why change?  Embarrassed Undecided
shutter
Community Veteran

Using cmd line instructions to get a computer to do things, is (almost) the same as DOS.... so how far have you moved >>>>........<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< !  Roll_eyes
I`m not using W7.... I`m using Vista.... which I have no problems with ANY of my MS progs, including Pub 98.... (I do have some other progs even older in origin than Pub 98 ! )
I`m only interested in Linux (which is almost a Dos version  like W3.1) so that I can acces my files and folders..... anything else Linux does is just a bonus really...  Smiley
It did warn me my last HDD was "almost failed" so I bought a new one just in time. and it helped me to get the files and folders transferred from that hdd to the new one.... so "it has it`s uses".!  Wink Cheesy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

`m only interested in Linux (which is almost a Dos version  like W3.1) so that I can acces my files and folders..... anything else Linux does is just a bonus really...

I must say that I was a bit sceptical when I started to look at Ubuntu about a year or so ago. I had an old pc with 256mb memory and a 400mhz Celeron processor that couldn't even run w2k. So I gave it a go with Ubuntu 8.04 and was surprised how well it ran. I liked what I saw and so got a new motherboard, dual core Athlon64, 1Gb memory and a half decent SATA drive and upgraded the box a bit!. This is now my main PC. For general purpose work, browsing, email, simple document manipulation, VPN to the office, VNC for remote access etc, It works great, takes about a minute to boot up to the desktop, what more can you want. TBH I very rarely use my Windows box anymore. I got an Acer Aspire One netbook a while ago and immediately put 9.04 on that, its great for taking around with me, nice and light, does everything you need on the move and even works with my mobile broadband dongle!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ben_Brown
Grafter

I can see how people new to Linux could think of the command line as DOS, but it's just a way of interacting with the system. Unix systems shell is generally based on the bourne shell (well, most of them are, being unix based there's many different ones available) which came out in the 70's so predates MsDOS by quite some time. If anything, DOS is like UNIX, though technically it's closer to CP/M.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

In addition, either if you use the non-LTS (later) versions of Ubuntu or (presumably) upgrade to 10.04 in April 2010, you will see boot times drastically reduced.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

To save "messing around" with putting in the Live CD, I have "installed" Linux Mint 8 Helena as a dual boot, alongside Windows Vista Home Premium.... Is there any way I can make the WIndows version boot first, instead of the Helena, which is the default "opening" boot choice if I don`t catch it first.?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try this in Windows
1. Right-Click on My Computer and select properties
– (In Vista you can select View System Information from the Computer window.)
2. From the System Properties window select the Advanced tab
3. Push the Settings button under Startup and Recovery
4. Select the default OS from the Default operating system dropdown box.
5. Click OK twice.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

Don't think that's going to work Jim. I suspect shutter's now got grub as the boot manager not the Windows one. He will need to change the grub default from Linux I guess. If that's the case then here's the destructions https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/ChangeDefaultOS
PS Linux mint is based on Ubuntu so the instructions should be ok

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

clicked on Advanced tab
shows Start up and Recovery and then Settings button
System startup
Default operating system:    and in the box is Microsoft Windows Vista... there are no other options when pressing the "down arrow" for the drop down....
Just says time to display  and it is set at 30 seconds..
Not sure if it can be done, because the "boot choice" window is produced by the Linux Mint 8, not MS Vista (i.e. black screen with white lettering as would be if running XP and Vista... )
probably have to do it some really "geeky" way by rewriting the boot sequence in the Linux Mint OS. !
Thanks for the suggestion Jim.
HA ! MisterW.... you have hit the nail on the head.....!  cheers for the suggestion !  Wink
Edit...... I may turn into a geek sometime soon ! ! ! ..... Grin

Not applicable

Don't want to start another Thunderbird thread and as this one seems to have abated, please could someone tell me about TB drag and drop?
It's not possible to select and drag/drop emails into a folder as it is with WM and Windows Live Mail.
Have not used TB3 and wondered if this problem has been addressed in this new version?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I don't know what you mean I use d&d on Thunderbird 2 all the time. Holding ctrl will copy them otherwise it will move them.