Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up Thunderbird on Ubuntu 9.10

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Set up Thunderbird on Ubuntu 9.10

Have managed to get Ubuntu 9.10 safely installed on a spare HDD, and have also managed to get the wireless connection working, after downloading a broadcom driver.... now I am trying to get Thunderbird installed.... Have managed to download the latest version 3.0 something.... !  found the folder, and checking the contents, cannot find any "install.exe" or similar .exe file to install it...
Help Please ?
32 REPLIES 32
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Set up Thunderbird on Ubuntu 9.10

Well you would want to do it the hard way!
I tried V3 and didn't like it. but here is how to install it :-
"sudo tar -jxf thunderbird-3.0.tar.bz2 -C /opt/" in a terminal it will ask for your password
then
if V2 is installed "sudo apt-get remove thunderbird" to remove it
then
"cd /usr/bin&sudo ln -s /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird"
But it will not update to newer versions when released. You could wait for it to make the repo's and add it then, or just install V2 "sudo apt-get install thunderbird"
Not applicable

Or for us simple folk  (well me anyway), look in the repository and seek out Internet/Thunderbird. Place a tick in the box or whatever, click apply and within a couple of minutes you will have Thunderbird.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Hey he said he had the file, I told him what to do with it  Cheesy (I did say the hard way!)
And isn't it still V2 in repo's?
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm.... tried the "simple folk" thingy first...... found Internet............................... no thunderbird listed....
so............ now for the hard way..... do I use the " quotation marks..... ?  or leave them out?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hmm.... tried the "simple folk" thingy first...... found Internet............................... no thunderbird listed....
so............ now for the hard way..... do I use the " quotation marks..... ?  or leave them out?

It's definitely there shutter, might be under 'mozilla thunderbird mail & news client' or something like that. I've installed it on quite a few Ubuntu systems but its a while now.
As biker says , is much better to use synaptic or apt-get as it will check dependencies before installing and will also get updates.
Edit:- Ok, I think I see what's happening now. I've just looked at my colleagues 9.10 system. You're using the Ubuntu Software Centre I guess shutter, and you're right its not in there. Try using the synaptic package manager directly from the menus, system->administration->synaptic package manager.
Then put thunderbird in the search box and it should then list it. Check the box againts thunderird and then click apply etc....

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

no quotes they are only there to show the "whole line to type in" type.
Synaptic should show thunderbird. It certainly does on mine, either type thunder into the quick search or the full search, or just "sudo apt-get install thunderbird" in a terminal. (you can tell I prefer the terminal can't you Shocked 8))
You can get V3 if you really want it, but searching the Ubuntu forums for "thunderbird 3" and adding a repo to the list. (repo's are lists of software that synaptic/apt will search to find software, so you don't have to use the M$ way of download in and installing it, synaptic will do it for you, and as a side benefit if the app is updated they will offer to update it automatically as well.)
shutter
Community Veteran

@ MisterW    Thanks for the instructions.... got it in the end.....  Wink
@Biker955.......... yup I can see you like the "hard way".... can`t imagine why... but if it floats ye boat ! ....
Nice to know there are alternatives to......
[ your application will not work]
                        [ OK ]
so will keep an open mind on "the hard way" ! ! !    Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Guys , and Gal.... !   email on Thunderbird on Linux Ubuntu 9.10 and on wireless ......   working properly.... Nice one !  Smiley
Now that is progress  ! !  Cheesy
Not applicable

Well done - glad you found it Shutter - isn't it a good feeling when it works!
I've not bothered with 9.10 and hadn't realised that they had moved Mozilla Thunderbird to Synaptic - was in Software Manager Add/'remove in 9.04.
Now waiting for LTS in April so wonder where it will be then?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

@poppy: Software Manger is just a front end to synaptic/apt anyway.
Shutter, investigating the MANY (20K+) packages in synaptic is a good way to loose an afternoon  Cheesy
I usually just do a quick search for the thing I am interested in, like email/pdf/cad or WHY, and browse the results.
Alternately if you don't find what you want there, a google for ubuntu +subject usually brings up a swathe of results.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK. thanks for the tips, and advice.... not going to get "too involved" with this "Linux stuff" ! ..... just wanted an alternative in case my Windows goes down, as it has done recently..... now here is a strange thing....
I am using Ubuntu 9.10 now, on a USB caddy, from a spare (old) hdd that had windows on it.( which had gone blue screen) .... I used the caddy to clear all the old files and folders on to the new hdd, then formatted the hdd.... then  I tried to load Windows XP on it.... but it just would not accept it.... so put it back in this machine, and the Ubuntu 9.10 .iso CD in, booted to the CD drive, and installed the Ubuntu with no problem...  and still running....
A problem I have at the moment with Linux, is it can`t read my Microsoft Publisher 98 .pub files...... which is how I do all my letters and notes and writing stuff.... so is there a Linux "reader" that will read them?  ( I have tried open office..... and one or two others in the list for "open with alternative programs")...
Not applicable

not going to get "too involved" with this "Linux stuff" !

Famous last words -  hope that you can stick to it!
With regards to Publisher, no there isn't an open source programme that will open them.
It is one of the reasons why I couldn't go over to Linux full time because I use it fairly frequently and
really like it.
There are plenty of references to Ubuntu and Publisher files, here is one:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=411085.
Seems that all you can do is convert them to pdf and read but even then they have to be less than 1MB.
I don't think that it works under Wine either.
http://convert.neevia.com/
shutter
Community Veteran

YAY !  Cheesy  Ok . Thanks Poppy.....!  Yes, I think I have too many applications that I know how to use (especially MS PUB 98) that I can`t see Linux geeks ever writing a version for all the Linux versions about !...
I might have another go a Linux Mint 8 Helena ..... only because it sounds nicer than Ubuntu !... 
I have got a copy of Publisher 2000 somewhere, but I don`t think that reads the old .pub files and no other MS word processor will read them either.... which seems a bit daft on MS part. ! !
Going back to Windows now.....
catch up later on this Linux thingy ! ! !..  Cheesy
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: shutter
A problem I have at the moment with Linux, is it can`t read my Microsoft Publisher 98 .pub files...... which is how I do all my letters and notes and writing stuff.... so is there a Linux "reader" that will read them?   ( I have tried open office..... and one or two others in the list for "open with alternative programs")...

Ahh you people stuck in the PAST (Publisher '98 that was 12 YEARS AGO  :D)
What do you use it for DTP? have a look at scribus (in the repo's) or inkscape. I used to play with DTP in the past, I had a suite that loaded Win 2 (Yes 2.0) for the GUI can't remember the name now, started with a T or a V? (But that was back in the good old DOS days :'()